iPhone and Running

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmo1116, Jul 18, 2012.

1. jmo1116 macrumors regular

I'm an avid runner and I sometimes like to run with music but I'm worried about my phone getting wet from sweat during my runs. With it being so hot out, my armband holding my iPhone becomes wet even though it's made of neoprene (right?). Also, my headphones get sweaty and I just wanted to make sure this is safe to be doing...I see plenty of other runners with headphones but I'm a little more worried myself as I am a competitive runner and tend to sweat on most runs. Sorry for the lenghthy post, should I stop running with iPhone and/or headphones? Thanks.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If you're that worried, they do make waterproof cases and headphones, but, unless the phone is being submerged in sweat, I wouldn't worry.

3. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I use this, and there's no way any sweat could get on the phone:

http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sport-Shell-Convertible-iPhone/dp/B003SNIV70

Find yourself a good case, and it won't be an issue. Regarding the headphones, in depends on which ones your using. Get some sweat resistant headphones and you'll be fine. These are my favorite:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZCR1N3KPT0HM4W6027W

Good luck!

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You should definitely get something to protect the phone. It only takes a drop of sweat to work it's way into the headphone jack or connector to risk water sensor activation. Also, the salt in sweat isn't good for exposed parts. It's a good practice to keep any electronics as dry as possible. :)

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I run a lot and I find the iPhone to be cumbersome and annoying while running.

I usually use a 3rd generation iPod nano to work out with. It's been with me from AIT to Iraq and to Afghanistan, an it's always been a perfect performer.

Small enough to not be annoying during runs, but durable and light enough to not get in the way. Some people run with iPhones strapped to their arms and such. I personally can't do that.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Use a fanny pack and forget the arm band for running. Take a zip lock plastic sandwich bag and cut off one of the bottom corners for the headphone wire and you have a cheep waterproof running setup.

8. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as you, I train for and run 1/2s and full marathons using my iphone for music and run tracking. I use a neoprene armband and a silicone case that came with a plug for the dock connector. I haven't had any problems with the phone itself (although it does get damp from time to time).

I have had problems with any headphones that have a microphone built into the cord. When sweat gets into that microphone, it shorts it out and causes the iphone to think you are using the remote buttons. This causes all kinds of problems in the operation. Use a set of sport headphones without a microphone and a dock connector plug and you shouldn't have any problems.

http://www.amazon.com/SILICONE-PROTECTOR-Compatible-Apple®-iPhone®/dp/B0030LOH3M/ref=pd_cp_cps_2

9. frostbyte32 macrumors member

I use a fany pack type deal called a SpiBelt...it doesn't bounce around and is adjustable...they make waterproof ones too. Check it out!

10. Sunsean macrumors 6502

I use my iPhone on my runs almost daily. I actually just hold it in my hand while I run. Not ideal, but guess I've gotten used to it.