Iphone as a gift for family member abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gr4z, Oct 5, 2012.

1. gr4z macrumors regular

Hi

After recently upgrading my Iphone4 to an Iphone5 I am giving my i4 to my Sister who lives in New Zealand. She travels to the UK every year to visit us Brits but obviously 95% of her time is in NZ.

What are people's recommendations for registering the phone and itunes? Would it be best to register the phone with my UK itunes details so I can setup the phone and give her some of my apps that I have bought in the UK and then when she is back home she register a NZ iTunes account? Is this possible? Can she register a NZ Visa card to my account so effectively keep all my UK based apps but then start downloading NZ based apps as well? Hope this makes sense.

Can anyone recommend a best approach? Thanks

2. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I don't believe you could have two apple accounts on one device.

I think the best way would just be a nice box, pretty pink bow and a factory reset phone so when she opens it she has that new phone feeling you get when you open the box and can register the phone on her own account.

That's my advise :p

3. stuaz macrumors 6502

Agree. As far as I am aware doing it the OP way, would meaning theory she would lose all the apps you put on there once she set up her account.

4. MuseumVisitor macrumors member

I believe that you can have as many accounts in different countries as you want. I have one for Canadian iTunes, one for US iTunes and one for UK, all with legit addresses from those places. You do not even need different credit cards from these countries, if you wish you can only use iTunes gift cards from these countries to pay your downloads when they are not for free. Its very easy to switch between these different accounts on any device (iPhone, iPad, Laptop…). On iPhone go to Settings -> iTunes & App Stores -> change Apple ID to the email associated to that other account. If an app needs to be updated, you have to log into that specific account that you used to download the app from on the first place. You cannot update them all via one account if they are not bought through that same account.

For example, if you bought an "Angry Birds" app via name@uk.com, and at the same time you have "TuneIn Radio" acquired via name@nz.com account, and you have downloaded free "Skype" app from name@canada.com account, they can be all installed on your iPhone but to upgrade let's say "TuneIn Radio" app, you would need to log into name@nz.com account. If you give access to your sister to all these accounts she can install them all on her own iPhone 4 as well.

In my case, I gave my iPhone 4S to my brother in Serbia since I just got my iPhone 5 here in Canada. Of course, the iPhone needs to be unlocked (the more expensive version) if you want it to be used in another country without being jailbroken. From my Canadian iTunes account I can buy him apps as gifts and he receives them on his own account that is different then mine.

So you have few possibilities. You can easily set up an account for your sister with her new New Zealand address and register her iPhone 4 through NZ iTunes. In that case, she has her own account no matter what you decide later on, independently from you. In addition, you can share your UK account with your sister, but you have to tell her your email(s) and password(s) of your account(s) so that she can log in. And you can be buying for her apps, movies, music from your UK account and sending them to her NZ account as a gift (in iTunes store, under the app's icon, next to £0.99 Buy App, there is a pull down menu, and first option is Gift This App -> enter her name@nz.com email and £0.99 would be charged from your name@uk.com account.

Sorry if I was to confusing.

5. gr4z, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

gr4z thread starter macrumors regular

@MuseumVisitor thanks very much. Exactly what I was after. I will register her phone using her NZ details but also add my UK itunes to give her some of my apps while she is in the UK (TomTom for example!).

Just thinking if she uses iOS6 then she doesn't need my password to update apps anymore?

Thanks again.

6. MuseumVisitor macrumors member

@gr4z
    Glad to help if possible. I'm afraid that iOS6 will not make any difference, your sister will still need your password to upgrade those uk purchased apps. However if she does not need to upgrade them, she doesn't have to do anything, she can just keep using the old already installed versions. I hope Im correct about this info, but I believe that is how it is.