iPhone as an "add-on" to the family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Philberttheduck, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

With my contract with t-mobile ending soon, i recall someone purchasing an iPhone (for the full price) without having to pay the 60 bux a month. The husband simply argued that his iPhone would only function as a phone without edge, visual voicemail (+more?) and got his phone as a $9.99 add-on to his family plan. I am wondering, with the new "-$20/month without EDGE" option if someone is able to argue that same point.

I ask that because my family is going to all get iPhones. While my mom and I will probably use all the features on the iPhone, including the above stated, I'd like to get my dad the iPhone sans those extra features and simply as a regular cellphone (and iPod, although he wont use the ipod features either) and probably turn on the wifi. I don't want my dad to get jealous/bitchy at my mom and me should we get iPhones and get him a crappy free phone because he thinks paying the ($400 -for the iPhone- and)$30/month is ridiculous if he's just using it as a cellphone.

Has anyone tried to add on the iPhone onto their family plan simply as a phone, versus a multi-function device, without having to pay an add'l $30/month? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Also, has anyone tried purchasing an iPhone, then calling AT&T to add-on an "unlocked" cellphone, which they would just send you the SIM card via mail or in-store? Would that work too?

2. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I think I see where you are coming from, but I think it simply ridiculous to buy a $400 iPhone and not use edge with it, especially if the person using it won't really use the iPod either. Without EDGE and the iPod, you are paying $400 for a touchscreen phone that looks cool, but has the features of a free phone.