iPhone Atlas claims wireless companies pay an up-front subsidy to Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Jun 16, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Have you seen this article?:

First-generation iPhones still fetching high prices
    Posted 16 June 2008 @ 11am in News

Despite the imminent release of the iPhone 3G, first-generation iPhone models are still commanding high prices on eBay and other resale venues, indicating concern over the ability to unlock and/or jailbreak the upcoming model combined with significant demand in countries where the iPhone 3G will not initially be on sale, including Russia and China. A cursory scan of eBay reveals several listings of unlocked, 16GB, first-generation iPhones with bids in excess of $600. The phone retailed for $499 before it was discontinued. The iPhone unlock market has proven lucrative for grey-market entrepreneurs who bought dozens of iPhones to resell as carrier-agnostic in international markets. With the iPhone 3G, however, Apple has transitioned its partnership model to a more traditional format: wireless companies pay an up-front subsidy to Apple, allowing iPhones to be sold at a discounted rate, and eschew the monthly stipend, instead keeping the entire monthly subscriber yield to themselves.

Pretty interesting, but I think MR Members already knew this info. :cool:

2. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I don't see how it could be upfront. Otherwise how could Apple sell them directly for the subsidized price? It sounds to me like Apple gets a subsidy payment after each activation on AT&T. That's why they'll be so strict about not letting any phones out the door without signing up.

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's what it sounds like to me as well, and that's why I highlighted/bolded that portion of the article. I just wish Apple or AT&T would just come out and say "who's getting what; and how much they are getting!" :mad:

4. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling this is in response to AT&T probably complaining about so many being unlocked. If the unlocking community had remained just a few thousand diehards, they would not have cared, but since it turned into such a large and vibrant community, they probably felt they had to do something, unfortunately.