iphone & aTT in the state of Maine, howzit working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fourthtunz, Aug 15, 2007.

1. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

I'm up in the great state of Maine, I would like an Iphone but am wondering what kind of service I can expect up here? I travel the whole state, but live in Bangor. What experiences have you had with the iphone around the state? Positive I hope, I really want one!
    Thanks!
    Daniel:D

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Not sure about Bangor. I visited a friend in Portland this summer and I had very little problems (a few service drops deep in her house). See if you can get a pre-paid SIM and phone from ATT or ask people who have ATT around you...and take a look at the ATT coverage map on their site. Hope that helps!

3. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Thanks for the reply! I did check out the ATT map but, just wondering how well it really works up here!
    I haven't seen many of them yet but I'm sure the iphone has got to be in Maine! Peace!

4. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

i live just outside of augusta. i would say coverage is pretty reliable for normal phone stuff (voice, sms). EDGE is pretty slow though, albeit a bit faster in city areas. however, i can only vouch for portland, brunswick, york, and augusta (basically anywhere down from augusta along I-95). i haven't been up to bangor since i got my iphone. although my father (who also has an iphone) goes up to brunswick rather frequently on business and hasn't complained at all about the service/coverage. when i'm at my office in augusta i can get weather updates and mail at decent speeds. browsing in safari is possible, but not desirable. but overall i can't complain.

basically, i would say don't let maine be a disincentive for gettting an iphone.

hope this helps.

5. PJF13 macrumors member

Hi! I live in Bangor too! Coverage is more than fine around here, you should not have any problems. I had T-Mobile before and I'd say coverage is about the same.

6. wyneken macrumors regular

Hey, Mainahs, I'm hoping for an update in this thread.

I live in the midcoast area (in Lincolnville, between Belfast and Camden). We have a lot of pesky little mountains around here. Any personal experience you might be able to report?

I'm thinking of getting the 3G-enabled version of a new iPad, and if that works, disconnecting my land line and getting an iPhone.

7. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Hey my old thread!
    I'm on my second iphone, upgraded to the 32 gig S and I love it.
    I don't remember the 3g working down your way? Just Portland and south.
    Might be better to go with the wifi version for now?
    I think the ATT phone plan is pretty good but they are really taking their time upgrading their network to 3g.
    The verizon ads are right!

8. bradahj macrumors newbie

iphone 4 in midcoast maine?

Hey Mainahs........

I, too, live in the midcoast area......and travel from waldoboro up through Belfast.

ATT coverage maps show this area as an out of service area......when this happens ATT relies on another carrier (US cellular in this case I think).

I know that I would be using this piggy-back carrier more than ATT's own network and the contract says that if this happens they can cancel your service at anytime. I guess this kind of usage costs them more as they have to pay the other network for my using it.

The question is whether or not ATT really goes this far or if its just something they have to say according to FCC rules or something.

On another note, what kind of pricing plans do you get in Maine?