iPhone back up: iTunes or iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eldiablojoe, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I've always backed up my iPhone to my MacBook via iTunes (and USB). I'm considering instead backing up to iCloud. What are the pros and cons, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I do both. Always good to have 3 backups (one onsite, one offsite, and one in the cloud).

3. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Do you just go into iTunes and check or uncheck the "Back up to iTunes" or "Back up to the Cloud" boxes manually each time?

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I leave it defaulted to "Backup to iCloud", but you can right click on your device in iTunes and do a manual backup as well.

5. HenryHealy macrumors member

I used to use iTunes but had an incident before the summer where I was away and needed to restore and I wasn't able to. I had to set it up as a new phone. Quite annoying.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I do both. iCloud every night and to my iTunes about once a week.

7. kannesss macrumors 6502a

i never use backup on either. I have no idea why really

8. tann macrumors 68000

i backup to iCloud, never thought of backing up to my computer as well occasionally, might do that every now and then.

The reasoning for me backing up to iCloud is because I am FAR more likely to plug it in to charge (every night) than plug it into my computer (every few weeks maybe).

9. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

This. It's not that I don't trust iCloud (it's actually saved me before), but I like local backups also :cool:

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I do both as well.

11. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

12. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I just backup to iTunes. No particular reason why.

13. troop231 macrumors 603

iTunes will backup more information than iCloud does also, which is nice if your phone breaks and you need a new one.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

like what? If I restore from iCloud, what am I not getting back?

15. troop231 macrumors 603

iPhoto library and iTunes music & videos library. Many other things too I think I'm missing. Not all apps take advantage or are allowed to use iCloud backup, so an iTunes backup will backup everything from the phone.

Edit: Also, you cannot backup your camera roll to iCloud if it's over 1GB.

16. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

iCloud every night, or every other depending on when I charge my phone. iTunes every so often, probably once a month when I sync new movies/TV shows to my iPad (I watch in bulk) I'll just plug my iPhone in alongside just for good measure.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hogwash. Neither of those are actually backed up to iTunes. They're just pulled from iPhoto and iTunes when you sync. If you have iTunes Match that's moot too (really, you ought to, it's incredibly useful).

Both backups are the same and I've never missed anything when restoring from iCloud. The only difference is that iCloud takes a lot longer. Doesn't really matter though since you can prioritize which apps restore first and you can use it while it's restoring the apps.

18. thaifood macrumors 6502

Yes you can. I have a 2.9GB Camera Roll that is backed up to iCloud.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's right, PhotoStream only stores 1GB not iCloud (max is 5GB for all data, including Camera Roll and you can buy more space).

20. troop231 macrumors 603

Source is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

Also, iTunes match is not all the hype it's lived up to be.

21. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

This is how I do it as well.

The worst thing that ever happened to me was when I had a tethered jailbreak and my phone died and I was out of town without my computer for 2 days. Not fun. That was the last time I did a tethered jailbreak. I can wait from now on.

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Troop, the very page you posted says this:

Note:*If you are using iCloud Backup and iTunes Backup at the same time, but you are concerned about using too much of your iCloud storage, or you simply want to speed up your iCloud Backup & Restore functions, you should consider avoiding backing up very large Camera Rolls to iCloud. For example: if you have a 15 GB Camera Roll on your iPhone, you may not wish to back up that to iCloud if you are already using iTunes to back up and sync your photo content. You can choose to disable the backing up of any item in Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Backups: > Backup Options.

Me again: the page does not say that iCloud won't back up camera rolls over 1GB. It just refers to iTunes as perhaps being a better way to back up large camera rolls.

23. rman726 macrumors 6502

I backup both. The iCloud is sort of a catch all in case something major goes wrong. But I don't see my computer hard drive and iPhone dying at the same time. But if that ever did somehow happen, it's nice to know that all my data isn't completely lost.

I just find that the backup process is a lot faster through iTunes, especially during product launches/iOS update periods. And those are probably the main times that I would be restoring during.

24. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I use iCloud. It keeps everything the way I need it, and I never have to plug it into anything.

When I restore from iCloud, all the things that are too large to store there (Apps,Music,Movies, etc) are re-downloaded. This is the only downfall, because it can take up to 3 hours to re-download all my Apps and Movies.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

As greytmom pointed out, that doesn't say what you think it says. I have a friend who uses a larger tier of iCloud because his Camera Roll is so large and he wants it that way. Guess what? iCloud backs up the entire 9GB roll.

iTunes Match may not live up to the hype for you but it does for me. Is it perfect? No, it has some issues (doesn't always upload artwork for non iTunes purchased music) but it works better than any cloud music alternative I've tried, including Google Music.