iPhone "Back up to iCloud" question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Dec 6, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I've always been backing up my iPhone to my local machine. But recently I upgraded to an SSD and disk space is a premium now.

Just wondering if anybody has tried the new "Back up to iCloud" option for backing up their entire iPhone? Does it work as well as backing up to my personal computer because I've always been able to restore my phone to its previous state using backups without any issues. I hope there aren't any quirks with backing up to iCloud.

What are the pros and cons, if any of using iCloud for backing up the iPhone?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I've backed up to iCloud and restored from an iCloud backup several times and it's worked perfectly for me. The only thing that doesn't get backed up/restored is your music, from what I've noticed.

So, for me, it's perfect. I'm sure others will chime in with their expriences but mine's been good so far.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I'm pretty sure many, many people have tried it.

I've used it and restored from it, with no problems.

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I used it to back up my old Verizon 4 before I upgraded to the 4S. All I had to do was sign in to iCloud on my new 4S and select the restore from iCloud back-up option and everything was just like it was on my old 4. I had always backed up to my computer previously and figured I would give it a shot since I was switching over to the 4S. Worst case was I set it up as a new phone. I was VERY happy with the results and how easy it was. Like Apple likes to say, it just worked.

5. Ponderous macrumors regular

Same here. "It just works."

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Works better than the computer backup in my opinion. You still need to have a computer to sync to for your music (and movies). But the iOS 5 backup is much, much better, that it allows you to choose which app to back up and which one to skip. It is very handy, as I can now skip the back up for the cinexplayer app that contains movie files.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Keep in mind with iCloud you only get 5GB Free storage and have to pay for additional memory, but their is no limit when backing up to your computer (Wired or Wireless)

I sync with iCloud because I travel a lot and I am always near or on WiFi, so for me it works better than backing up with my iMac (though I had to turn off backing up of my Camera Roll because I record a lot of videos).

8. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

I have not yet to try a backup for the cloud yet! BUT does it also back up your Notes? I dont see anything about that?

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure that notes are included in normal syncing-not just the nightly backup.

10. fraggot macrumors 6502

I have a 64 iPhone with only maybe 20 gigs free at any time, it won't let me backup anymore without paying for it.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Everything except Music/Movies/TV Shows and Podcast.