iPhone Basics: Is the will the iPhone5C be a better iPhone overall than the current?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Aug 21, 2013.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I get the iPhone 5S will be the superior iPhone but will the 5C be a better overall iPhone than the current model?

Will it be worth it to trade in on the 5C or in reality do you think the 5S is a bump up but the 5C is not?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. the-prophet macrumors member

The 5 will still have better specs of course.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

If you're an iPhone5 owner would you consider trading it in for the 5C?

5. the-prophet macrumors member

It won't have LTE.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Says who?

7. the-prophet macrumors member

Rumors. :)

8. the-prophet macrumors member

That's interesting how it will be replacing the iPhone 5 when it doesn't have Siri, the latest camera, processor, or the fingerprint scanner.

Hm. They can't both be right. :/

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Assuming I own a 5? Depends really. I need to see what an iPhone 5C will offer.

Before hand, I'll say that color choice is never a factor in my decision. I end up getting black iPhones anyway.

10. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Extremely unlikely, the networks need LTE iPhones, the iPhone 5 is incompatible with the majority of the market in the UK and most European countries which are launching 800 MHz / 2600 MHz LTE networks.

I can see them offering trade in deals to get the iPhone 5 out of the way, and the 5C would make economic sense to be offered as the replacement at a subsidised cost.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

No... new member to this forum.

The 5s replaces 5, the 5c is for <ahem> people who are looking for a more affordable phone. "c" for cheap somone said.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

Based on the fact that the 5c will have dozens of improvements over the 5 I would get that.

13. Dented macrumors 6502a

Normally I'd say last years flagship model is bound to better (or at least on a par) with this year's budget offering - but with all the niggles of the 5 I'm not so sure.

I'm just about to take my 5 back in for a swap due to the purple lines I've seen in the camera (interference lines, not the optical haze/halo effect although that's annoying too), a dead pixel in the screen, and very weak wifi. If the 5C has designed those issues out, as well as scuff gate of course, it may well be a better buy overall.

14. Poly macrumors 6502

What? You are the first one telling people that the 5C will be better and have more features than the "old" 5! What the hell...

15. Mike82 macrumors member

Nope, 5c replaces the 5, 5s succeeds the 5.

16. Motherload0211 macrumors member

5C will not be better than the current 5...... (What improvements as Jimmy posted ? )

If the 5S has a much better camera with dual flash, than I guess the 5C will keep the iphone 5 current camera.

5C will have the current CPU found on the 5, and the 5S will have a better CPU

5S may have a fingerprint sensor, and the 5C will not as the current model 5 does not.

So in my opinion, the 5C will be much like the current iPhone 5 with a plastic body and on par with the iphone 5, not replacing it per se with better components, but with less expensive body.

17. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

5C will be just like an iPad mini while 5S will be the successor of i5 like iPad 4 which replaced The new iPad (iPad 3)

18. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The 5C should be a lesser or equal iPhone to the current 5. C stands for Consumer or Color I think. If you have a 5, you probably would want a 5S unless you want to just have a cheaper phone (cheaper than the 5) in which case the 5C would be the best choice. For people that have parents or kids, the 5C is probably going to be a better choice unless they want more storage or faster processing.

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

He's asking for definitive advice about something that is not yet known. I can make up anything I like, just like everyone else here.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I doubt the 5C will give me any reason to replace my 5. That would mean Apple is releasing two phones this year that are both better than their predecessor. Possible, but not probable.

21. Mgiuly macrumors newbie

How a plastic phone could be better than aluminum/glass one? It will be never better than the actual 5...

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If I had a 5, I'm not sure I would replace it with either of these phones.

23. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

The guts of the 5C, aside from the larger screen, will be more like the 4S than the 5.

One thing I noticed is the bottom of the 5C the speaker / microphone looks different than it does on the 5. Not sure what's going on there.

There has been a fair amount of talk that the 5C is being make for markets like China. Is there any guarantee they're going to sell it in the US? I'd probably bet a few dollars they will but what if the C in 5c is for China and it's only for that market?