iPhone battery awful... I don't have proof of ownership!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petemwah, Mar 13, 2009.

1. petemwah macrumors regular

Basically a friend bought an iPhone 3G and hated it, as I work for him he did me a favour by swapping my C902 (Sony Ericsson) for his iPhone (I did some design work for him by means of payment).

The battery has got absolutely terrible, lasts less than a day now, but it's still within it's guarantee. Is it possible to exchange it purely based on the serial number or will I have to have my friend there to provide proof of purchase etc?

It's a UK iPhone, bought from Carphone warehouse, but was thinking of going to an apple store to get it sorted? I needed to know before I went there as the closest one is about 40 mins away...

Cheers, Pete x

2. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

As far as I know it is by serial number and then you have to sign a piece of paper when you swap out.

There has got to be a legalized way to change the iPhone into your name. I am sure someone on here knows how, surely people sell their old iPhones to others therefore transferring ownership in a legalized manner.

3. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

I had bought an open box macbook from best buy about two years ago. I took it into an apple store for a defective battery and found it was registered to the original buyer. The genius didn't say or do anything when I had to sign the paper for the replacement. I don't think there would be much they could do other than call your friend who its registered to and ask if it was stolen or anything.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If the phone's associated phone number is in your name, that should be all you need.

TEG

5. petemwah thread starter macrumors regular

thanks so much for your replies! very grateful! from what you've said, i think i'm just gonna go to the apple store and ask for an exchange and if they ask for proof of ownership i'll phone my friend, if not then all's gravy eh?

thanks again! x