iPhone battery conditioning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Oct 10, 2014.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

So, at one time it was considered good maintenance to periodically fully charge and discharge the iPhone. I recall an Apple help article saying as much. Is this still considered best practice? I want to make sure I condition my iPhone 6 battery properly to get the best battery life.

Thanks!

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

IMO, you will probably upgrade your phone by the time ur battery degrade.

3. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you're right...however, I'm curious about getting the most out of it on a daily basis.

4. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The link has good information and to answer your question directly, Apple no longer recommends a monthly full discharge. That article has been removed.

6. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I'll take that to mean it is no longer necessary. Thanks!

7. TLewis, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

TLewis macrumors 65816

That article was likely causing more harm than good, which is probably why it was changed. I'm guessing that an occasional deep discharge does -- technically -- keep the battery meter better calibrated. However, given that many people do -- accidentally or not -- occasional deep discharges, the original web page recommendations were probably not really unnecessary. Also, any differences in long-term battery life were probably not noticed by most people for a couple of years or so.

However, given the "poor battery life" of a new iPhone in the first couple of days, I'm guessing that the meter might not be calibrated at all, initially, and that a couple of charges might be needed to calibrate the battery. If so, a fairly deep discharge (once and only once), say down to 10-20%, might be useful with a new iPhone. Of course, many owners probably do let their new shiny phones get that low, and so this advice is probably not needed.

8. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

1 deep discharge per month, that is what I do for calibration.

9. Geo1688 macrumors newbie

10. darknight007316 macrumors member

This is the 1st time I'm not calibrating (iPhone 6plus). Hope it won't make a difference...