iPhone battery conditioning

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
So, at one time it was considered good maintenance to periodically fully charge and discharge the iPhone. I recall an Apple help article saying as much. Is this still considered best practice? I want to make sure I condition my iPhone 6 battery properly to get the best battery life.

Thanks!

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
The link has good information and to answer your question directly, Apple no longer recommends a monthly full discharge. That article has been removed.
Interesting. I'll take that to mean it is no longer necessary. Thanks!

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
left coast, US
Interesting. I'll take that to mean it is no longer necessary. Thanks!
That article was likely causing more harm than good, which is probably why it was changed. I'm guessing that an occasional deep discharge does -- technically -- keep the battery meter better calibrated. However, given that many people do -- accidentally or not -- occasional deep discharges, the original web page recommendations were probably not really unnecessary. Also, any differences in long-term battery life were probably not noticed by most people for a couple of years or so.

However, given the "poor battery life" of a new iPhone in the first couple of days, I'm guessing that the meter might not be calibrated at all, initially, and that a couple of charges might be needed to calibrate the battery. If so, a fairly deep discharge (once and only once), say down to 10-20%, might be useful with a new iPhone. Of course, many owners probably do let their new shiny phones get that low, and so this advice is probably not needed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.