iPhone battery seems to die quick

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sotorious, Apr 21, 2011.

1. sotorious macrumors 6502a

First time iphone user i dont know how the battery was before. But i was wondering is there a way to turn gps off, also i see signing out of the app store people say that saves battery. Also everytime i want to get in the app store would i have to re sign in?

2. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

You can turn the GPS off by going into general>location services. However, if you leave it on and just make sure you completely close down any apps not currently using the feature, it shouldn't make a difference.

Also, yes if you sign out of the app store you will have to sign in again if you need to download something

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Battery life issues are typically software related.

Sync your data
    Copy your photos
    Transfer your purchases
    Do a DFU restore
    except hold buttons together for 8 seconds, not 10 like the article says

CHOOSE SETUP AS NEW when the phone shows back up in itunes

Re-sync your data to the device.

This should fix your battery life issues. You will lose any saved game data and text messages. Thats about it.

If you restore a backup you'll put the software problem thats causing your poor battery life right back into the device.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

How much hours of usage are you getting? Mine lasts 5-9 hours of usage depending on how I'm using it.

5. sotorious, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just got this phone yesterday. Did buy it used but he said it was no longer then a week old, which i do believe him as the phone is in immaculate condition. Right now i am on 2% battery life. I unplugged it @ 6:30 cent. It says i have 6 hours 37 mins usage and 16 hours 24 mins stand by
    sent 9.9mb data received 101mb.

It just feels like when i look at my % it goes down every 5 to 7 mins. i just said it was 2% now its completely dead.

Like i said i am new to this phone so i dont know when it was good or if this is good or if this is bad just seems a little fast, from what i been reading anyway.

6. gigemzach macrumors 6502

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If it truly is less than a week old then you might just need to give it a couple of charge/discharge cycles for the battery and the software to get calibrated.

My iPhone is brand new too and I got about a day's worth of usage, which seemed short. I discharged it right down to where it shut itself down, and now I'm going to give it a full overnight charge. Hopefully after that the results will be better.

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I'm telling you, restore, setup as new, as I said above... then give that puppy a full charge. You'll be good.

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I wouldn't stress it. If the 101 megs you've downloaded has been throughout the day, that's a pretty good bit of processing for a day (all of it downloaded on 3g?). Getting 6-8 hours of usage is about normal with 16 hours of standby. If you are really worried, i would do a restore "AS NEW" and test for a couple days.

If the problem persists, take it to Apple and tell them what you are experiencing and they will more than likely replace your phone as it's within a year. (assuming this is an iPhone 4)

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

2 Things:

1) Turn off battery % it will end up driving you crazy and you will become obsessed about it. I've learned the hard way!

2) Apple states anything of 5 hours of usage is "normal" battery life and health. If you are getting about 6-7 hours that pretty good.

11. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will do that if i think i am having issues today.

Also thanks for everyones input. Today I am not playing with it as much. So we will see how it goes so far its still at 100% and its been off the charger since 7am cent. I do need to adjust the brightness to 1 setting, as i just sort of let everything be for the first day. It just felt weird towards the end 1 % was just dropping. Again thanks again and i will keep everyone posted.

12. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I am having really bad battery drain aissues after updating to iOS 4.3xx.
    I am on a 3GS with the latest iOS update.
    Last night I charged my iPhone to 100% then took it off the charger and sat it on my nightstand. Never touched it again until this morning when I checked it, it was down 17% overnight. Used it to check my mail, stocks and news. Maybe 3-4 mintues and it went down another 6%!!!
    :eek::confused::mad:
    I haven't downloaded any new App's or changed anything on the phone from when I was getting really good battery usage before updating the iOS.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Clear your app switcher tray and your problems will be solved (unless it's a hardware problem).

14. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

its not even the app tray. its the new GPS trakcer they added o_o haha jk but seriously its something.

15. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Are you completely sure it's not the app tray? If you are sure try turning of location services and Ping using the Restrictions feature in settings.

You could have a hardware issue if none of these fix it.

16. endo689 macrumors newbie

Unplugged my iPhone Friday morning at 6:30 am pacific time. With moderate to heavy usage my phone is only now reaching close to the bottom of the battery meter and it's still green.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Dude that is very good usage

18. notjustjay, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

So I took my phone, ran it all the way down its first charge until it shut itself off, then plugged it into the charger and left it overnight. Over a full day of light usage -- a bit of email, Facebook, Twitter, camera usage and one phone call -- it was at 20% when I went to bed. This morning I woke up and it was at 77%.

Edit: by the end of the day, which included some GPS navigation, it was down to 30%. So I figure in a pinch the battery will last about 3 days of light usage, though realistically I'll be charging every second day at the least.

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

6 hours, 36 mins usage is pretty good and it depends where these stats are from. Are you on wifi alot during the day or 3G? as whenever i'm away from home I use % as at work it goes quicker.

I normally get around

6 hours, 30 mins to 7 hours usage
    1 day to 1 day, 6 hours in standby

although I use around 1 hour a day on music.

so yours aren't too bad to be honest

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You do realize that you're responding to 15-month-old posts, right?