iPhone be "quiet" when I am on the phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oyalhi, Nov 14, 2011.

1. oyalhi macrumors member

oyalhi

Here is the problem:

When I switch the phone to silent, I want it to vibrate - this is important for me. Thank Apple there is an option for this.

Now, when I am on the phone and someone is writing a message to me, I hear the message sounds coming - BIP BIP - BIP BIP - BIP BIP - WHILE I am talking on the phone. So I cannot hear what the other person is saying. What do I do, I turn the switch to silent. However, since I have set it to vibrate when silent, now the phone is - BUZZZ BUZZZZ -BUZZZ BUZZZZ - BUZZZ BUZZZ - WHILE I am on the phone and I cannot understand a thing what the other person is saying on the other side.

A very SIMPLE solution to a very ANNOYING problem:

Notify during a call? - Yes / No -> Do we have this setting on the iPhone PLEASE? I will PAY for this feature (jailbreak etc.).

I hope there is a setting that let's me do this and I am just ignorant that I did not notice it. I hope!

Any advice?

2. saldawop macrumors regular

Could you just not ask the other person to repeat the last 1.5 seconds?
    Maybe its just me, but when I am on the phone,when the conversation ends,I just press End, lock the phone and put it away.If it worked how you want it you would have to go to the home screen to check if any messages have come through?
    Of course I am only looking at it personally,it happens so rarely to me.I guess if you are a person who receives hundreds of txts a day it could be a pain.

3. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

hmm, never had this problem and I don't see it either.
    But, there are several solutions to this:
    put the sound of the phone harder, that can be done while talking, or use a headset.

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

I had the same thing on my old Android phone. Quite annoying. Would make much more sense to have it simply beep when it's on silent and you receive a text on a call, or something that wouldn't disturb the conversation otherwise.

But yes, this would be solved if you used a headset.

5. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

You've never had an email or text or any other notification while on a call? It is quite annoying. Recently also experienced MapQuest continuing to read me directions while on a phone call...ridiculous.

Using a headset is hardly a solution. And what the hell does "put the sound of the phone harder" mean?

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Wow, a couple of the replies so far are ridiculous!

Having someone repeating part of the conversation or buying other equipment to get around this issue are horrible solutions.

I agree 100% with the OP. I own a business and when I am on the phone with a business related call the last thing I want to do is have to interrupt them and ask them to repeat what they said.

I could understand maybe a very soft ding or something that did not over power the phone call but the current way that it is done is awful.

8. cathlabnurse macrumors newbie

cathlabnurse

Hope they come of with a feature to silence the alerts while talking on the phone too!

9. oyalhi thread starter macrumors member

oyalhi

What happens is that it is not about 1,5 seconds. Me and my wife text each other all the time about not-so-important stuff. So that when we have time from work, we read what the other wrote. My wife likes short sentences :). So when she is writing about something that turns out to be about 1-2 minute BIP-BIP, BIP-BIP or if the phone is on silent then BUZZ-BUZZ, BUZZ-BUZZ.

I cannot concentrate what the person on the other side is saying. I get distracted.

A very short and silent bip or bip-bip while on a call would suffice. The phone should adapt to me, instead of the other way around.

----------

Making the sound of the phone louder does not help, it still distracts me. However headset does help, which I don't carry with me all time.

----------

I thought the phone already had this feature but somehow I was not seeing it. Bummer. :mad:

----------

What is interesting is that, there are no apps for this even for jailbroken phones.