iPhone Buyback Programs...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cobra611, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Cobra611 macrumors regular

Cobra611

Does anyone know of a good, and reputable buyback program for the iPhone in lieu of the iPhone 5 release?? I've seen several websites offering but not certain which one would be best.

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I'd try xda. I've always had great luck selling/buying/trading there.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

gazelle will let you lock in a price for 30 days. That is probably where you will get the most bang for your buck in terms of a hassle free website. Craigslist is where you will get the most money though.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

5. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

If you do a lot of shopping through Amazon, then you could use their trade-in service. You get an Amazon gift card though. An average condition iPhone 4 gets you like $220, $270 for like new.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Ebay or Craigslist will give you the highest amount of money, but requires hassle of commission or dealing with interacting with the seller.

Amazon has a high amount too, but will give you credit towards their store, not really useful if you want the 5 on release day.

Gazelle seems like the best option for cash.

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Amazon is offering $500 for the iP4S 64GB. That's much more than Gazelle and most other trade in programs. I use Amazon for most everything, so for me it's just like cash. :)

8. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I put my iphone 64gb black on ebay like three days ago, there's two days left to bid on it, and I feel like the current offer [$213.50] is rather low...

Now.. do I go ahead and just wait to see if people start bidding the last day or cancel?

I dont want to be bound to selling my iphone to some guy for $213.50 when I know it's in new condition, and worth way more than that.

Can you actually do that on ebay?

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Bait ad switch because you don't think you're getting enough? No, I don't think you can do that.

10. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

no not a bait and switch I'm just asking if people typically bid more on the last day so the price doesnt drive up TOO heavy too soon. This is my first sell

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could put a reserve to make sure you hit a given price point if you like. I would not worry too much though. Often auctions see little activity until the last few hours before the end.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

You can cancel the auction and use 'this item no longer available' option. Be careful though as it can affect your eBay reputation in the future.

13. acarney macrumors 6502

I'm really interested in the damn Amazon trade in. I also noticed the other day that i could get ~$500 for my 4S, the problem is that you can't buy an iPhone FROM amazon, just from 3rd party sellers on there and you can't sell or trade the "gift card" since it's linked to your account and not really a gift card. Sure I buy stuff on there now and then and I'm sure i would use the money, but that still leaves me needing to find ~$850 extra right now to buy a factory unlocked iPhone....

It's killing me that I can't post here and sell it (yet), I figure prices aren't as high here but I bet it would be a lot easier dealing then CL or ebay.

I haven't used gazelle before but i would suggest them as a safe bet if not a bit low of an offer, they'll give you until Oct 8th or the end of Oct or something now before you have to send in your old phone. Amazon if you plan on buying a big ticket item soon, or KNOW a friend that can give you cash for a $50 discount or something if you buy the item for you. However, I know of no way to sell or trade that "value" out of your account without actually buying and having the item shipped to someone. Which brings in the pain of trusting someone online to paypal you the money or give it to you etc...

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Craigslist, by far.

1. Post a quick ad (should take about the same amount of time online as any other buyback site would take), use a new anonymous email address, post the price you want, and the condition it's in.

2. Wait for responses to come pouring in (few minutes to a few days).

3. In the same time it'd take to go to the post office, box up your phone and mail it, you simply meet the most trustworthy response to the ad at a safe place (mall, police station, or preferably the carrier store so they could test and get the phone on their plan right then).

4. Profit... but instead of having to wait for a check or deal with store credit, you receive cash in hand - likely more than you would have gotten from any other source.

Overall, it'd take the same amount of time (or less) than any other method and you'd be paid both more and quicker.

...or you could go through any buyback site, have to mail it, pray nothing happens in shipping or that they find an extra problem with it, and wait for your money.

15. acarney macrumors 6502

This is all true but depending where you are it can get pushed down pretty fast in Craigslist. I've also found that not many people seem to want to buy top dollar stuff like on eBay. You seem to see a lot more luck with 16Gig versions then top end 64Gig 4S or something. You get a huge amount of scam emails, will you trade emails, can I just look at it before I decide emails, and what not. Finally, you still run the risk of them trying to back you down on price, all they have to do is show up with $100 less then you told them and offer that as "all they have" and now that you've met up and wasted time do you just go for it or go home and start again? Yes Craigslist can yield the highest price but it isn't just simple point and click and toss in a box, you need to get a little sales men in you and work the market a bit.

(Plus after working in a bank I'm really scared of counterfeit bills, even the security pens are not fail safe as bills can be rinsed and reprinted with a different value and a lot of times will go unnoticed. Be super careful and if any look "too new" or "old and worn" use a security pen and hold them up to the light to see watermarks and other security features, even if you feel like you're being a huge ass to the guy that's handing over $500 cash for your used device or what not. It also wouldn't hurt to get your own $100 bill from a bank to use to compare, in the couple cases were i saw counterfeit bills reach our branch they were always in deposits where that hundred was the only hundred in the deposit and once we paid more attention to it or compared it you could totally tell it was counterfeit. If a seller gave you a couple 50s and two counterfeit hundreds or something you might not notice right away)

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

The same could happen if you were to label your phone as 'Good' condition on eBay (or through any buyback program), agree to the final bid / highest quote, and mail your phone out to them only to find that they disagree on the quality level you called it and demand to either lower the price or mail it back to you.

The only difference being in one, you'll lose a few minutes of your time, the other would mean starting over and losing any costs you paid to ship it.

The concern about counterfeits is a genuine one, but severely lessened if you meet at a police station or, if at a store, where you could have them swapped out for lower denominations quickly.

Of course, nothing is completely fail safe, but if you're smart about it, Craigslist could offer far better results with the same or less work/ risk than any other method.

17. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I wasn't happy with the offers from Gazelle ($173) or NextWorth ($160) for my excellent condition iPhone 4, 32 GB, Unlocked (AT&T). Amazon had a good price ($246-290), but I really don't use Amazon much for shopping and I hate that you can't use that money on AmazonWireless for credit towards a new phone.

So I went with Craigslist. It was the first time for me, but I think you get added sale value for things like unlocking your phone and including a few accessories (chargers, cases, etc) that you don't get on the trade-in sites. Yes, you have to watch out for scams (only deal local and with cash) and personal safety (meet at a public place - mall, library, etc. and take a friend!). But with some common sense, you get a lot of bang for your buck and don't lose anything to fees (payment transaction or shipping). It worked well for me. Got $360 in cash in my hand in the end. :)