iPhone charger problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macdudesir, Aug 22, 2012.

1. macdudesir, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

macdudesir macrumors 6502

So about a week ago, I plugged in my iPhone 4 (Verizon) to my wall charger (griffin) and it didn't buzz buzz like it usually does to indicate that it's charging. Looked at the screen it was still my wallpaper and the battery icon was normal. So I unplugged the cable from the phone and plugged it back in. Still nothing, so I unplugged the cable from the wall and plugged it back in and my phone started charging. So I went to sleep, now the next night, same thing, unplug from wall and back in and it charges. Fast forward a week and I'm going on a long trip at which point I usually plug it into a car charger (where it's always worked before) and got nothing. So I unplugged it from the car and plugged it back in expecting it to be the same as the house. Still nothing, did it a few more times, nothing. I thought maybe the cable crapped out so I asked someone else in the car if they had a cable and he handed me a generic black cable an it didn't work either. So he gave me another one, a 1st gen iPad charging cord (has the push buttons on the side for easy release) and i plugged it in to the car charger USB port and then in to my iPhone, worked immediately. So at the next rest area I took my phone off to go to the bathroom and came back and plugged it in to the iPad cable and again it accepted it immediately and we were on our way. When we got to our resort at night I tried to plug it in with my cable for the wall assuming it would be like home where I just unplug it and plug it back in and it'll work. Nope. I tried a few more times and on the 3rd try it worked. So that's how it went during our stay at the resort. Then back in the car to come home the iPad cable worked in the car again like its supposed to. Now I'm home again and it again takes 3-4 times to get it to work. My concern is that it's gonna eventually not accept the charger anymore at all. I don't know what to do, do you think its software? Or the cable? I haven't tried it in my iMac yet I'll do that tomorrow. I don't have the latest update I guess I'll get that tonight. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for any errors I'm on my iPhone while it's still chargeable. Lol.

Edit: the only difference I saw between the regular chargers and the iPad cable was the peice that connects to the phone was bigger. But it shouldn't make a difference.

Edit2: just tried the MacBook air, it behaves the same way as the charger. Its weird the only way the phone will possibly accept charge is when it's already plugged in to the cable and then I plug it in to the wall. And even then it takes a few tries. This last time it took about 8 tries.