Iphone classic aluminum housing w/ 3g/3gs innnads?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Synthetickiller, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I know this is a hacking forum, but I haven't seen anything related to mods here, so I figured this would be the appropriate place.

Has anyone done or seen a classic iPhone that was gutted and replaced with 3g/3gs innards? I don't care about the warranty. The 3gs shell is not super sturdy, so this would be a good alternative.

2. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

I don't think this is possible, as the 3G is thicker than the original iPhone.

3. Synthetickiller thread starter macrumors regular

Are you just guessing?

4. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

About what? The iPhone 3G is thicker than the iPhone original. The battery is thicker, and the iPhone original has a smaller circuit/logic board. The 3G's logic board extends throughout the whole iphone with the battery connected to the back while the original iPhone's logic board is only the top 1/2 of the phone and the battery is on the lower half of the phone.

Although I have no tried fitting one into another, I have opened both iPhones up before and logically, it's not possible.

However, if you somehow bend the metal casing or buff it into the same shape as the iphone 3G, it might be possible, except I don't recommend that because it'll be ugly.