iPhone Cleaning Cloth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ty7u5, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ty7u5 macrumors member

I have for the longest time been wondering why Apple seemed to randomly stop including a cleaning cloth with this "i" products, mainly iPhone and iPod touch. The only reason that I can come up, and it's kind of a bad one, is that they decided that there screens became to nice, and didn't require a screen cloth...Thoughts/opinions, do you wish they still included one?

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The original iPhone came with a dock too. They cut that out as well. They have also remove the sim ejector tool. Coming from someone qho ejects MANY sims a day, trust me, that thing is more handy than most people know. It's all to lower the bottom line and strengthen profits.

4. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Definitley a bad one :D , simply a case of cost cutting measure's nothing else. Just like they don't include a dock anymore, when they bean counters want to save money this is what you get ;)

Doesn't bother me though as I detail all our vehicles with high quality boutique products and have many high quality microfiber and cloths. So I have a few that I use just to clean the tv's, laptops, phones etc.

5. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

And when you sell 4 million phones in a weekend it sure does add up.

7. TuiSong macrumors regular

Since when? I bought two iPhone 4s in New Zealand and they both have the tool, my iPad 2 also had the tool too. Maybe it is more to do with phone companies in certain countries wanting people to not be able to eject sims too easily?. in NZ all phones come unlocked

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yeah for a company that has BILLIONS in money they are making from us. They can't afford a 1 cent cloth included in a phone that costs a little over 100$ for them to build?

Inexcusable they got rid of the cloth and the sim ejector tool.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That's partially how they got their billions. It's what companies do.

10. SurferMan macrumors 65816

You obviously don't know anything about manufacturing or business operations when it comes to the "bean counters". One of my businesses is in consulting and I've been brought on for certain things for many companies from Fortune 500's to larger private type businesses (i.e. rev in the 50mm a year range). You'd be surprised at what companies even generating billions will cut down on to save cost even if it's only a few cents per item.

Apple doesn't care what you or I etc think, if those few cents per unit add to their bottom line over the past few years, their going to do it.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

No, I'm actually very familiar with it. Apple should still include SIM ejector tools. You can buy 10 of them on eBay for 1 dollar. Apple probably isn't saving very much by excluding this.

12. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

not including these things (cloth or sim ejector tool) has probably deterred 0 people from buying the phone, ipod or w/e.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Funny how people complain about not getting useless free crap with their phone, but make no mention of the fact that the phone keeps getting better every year, with more storage, features, and speed, but has remained basically the same price.

14. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

The sim ejector tool is still supplied in the UK too! It's clipped inside the folder with the manual.

as for cost-cutting: you don't become the biggest company in the world by giving stuff away ...no matter how little it costs, it still costs.

Attached Files:

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

for people that wonder the ejecting tool is only included for factory unlocked iphone purchases thru apple store.

16. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

errrm ...locked to O2-UK here, maybe it's true over there though.

17. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I actually do miss those included accessories from my Apple products. My first iPod and iPhone both came with a dock and a cloth. Subsequent ones didn't. The ejector tool is really handy. I've lost mine and I'm always scrambling to find one. A paperclip, at least the ones I've tried, aren't tiny enough to fit in the hole. Only thing I can use is the pin from a button. And well, the dock, it was pretty much model specific and a great included accessory. Now it's a 29.99 addition. The cloth that came with it was pretty tiny, but it was nice. But, I've got plenty now from my buying cleaning solutions.

On a side note, my 2010 MBP 17" came with a cleaning cloth. That was a surprise. My previous MB didn't.

18. imeth macrumors regular

Wth, cry cry cry, get mad

19. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

in the states we didn't get them (although I am unsure if the unlocked ones do).

20. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yeap sorry I forgot to say US since I only experience it from here.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Would be gravy but I'm not holding my breath or changing my purchase decision. Microfiber's not expensive and I have plenty on hand.

22. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Yeah, massively 800dollars for every 4 millions sold... that's nothing to "save" for a company like apple.

My thoughts on why they stopped including them is that most don't use them anyways and as the new retina displays are far easier to clean, i can't see them necessary either, sure it's always nice to get one free, but really no need for one. Simply use the shirt you're wearing or whatever and stroke it once and it's pretty much as new again! That's how easy i think the retina displays are to clean :)

And probably also why apple isn't including them anymore? All we can do is guess.. ;)