iPhone commercial

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmac4, Aug 3, 2013.

1. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Ok so is there any way for Apple to be able to prove more music is played on the iPhone than any other phone? That just seems it would be very hard to prove. The phone does not keep up with those stats that I know of, and the phone does not connect to data when it plays music, so how would Apple know how many people listen to music, and when?

2. bmac4, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013

bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Well they just said played, so songs downloaded would not equal played. There are more android phones total sold, so if they counted Spotify and Pandora or any of those apps then android would most likely have more songs played. Just seems impossible to figure this out.

3. bmac4, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013

bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Just seems like something they made up. I guess they can't do that, but I have no idea how they would get any kind of information like this.

Also what does "enjoy" mean? What is the difference in that and played?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There are more iphones sold than any other single (smart)phone.

It stands to reason that more people enjoy music on an iPhone than any other phone, unless somehow the phones that sell less have a crazy high percentage of people listening to music on them while iPhone has a crazy low percentage.

There is also iTunes match, which tracks music played, and it is only available on Apple devices (and PCs via iTunes).

5. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Ok I guess that is true. I was thinking about android phones as a whole. Ok still don't know if they have numbers to back it up, but I guess they would have to to make the claim?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am not sure. I often see AT&T versus Verizon around here (Boston) claiming each is number one in LTE, Speeds, Users, etc. etc. I honestly don't know what sort of evidence is required to make a really broad claim like that.

7. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Yea just thought I would see what other iphone users thought. I have no idea if it is true, but with it evolving iPhones I would not be surprised.

8. cynics macrumors G4

I imagine they have studies and surveys done even for internal research reasons.

I don't find it too hard to believe that with the amount of iPhones out there plus iTunes more people are enjoying music on their iPhones compared to competitor phones.

9. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Ok so I just saw the camera one too. That one said "more pictures taken on the iPhone than any other camera". That is insane. I can't be believe it would be higher than any camera. I could see smartphone, but any camera. That is a lot of cameras to be better than.

10. mama-exo macrumors newbie

You know, the American version is the only one that says, "than any other phone".

All of the other commercials from all the other countries leave that part out.

I think we have to ask ourselves any other camera do we really believe that?

11. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Really did not know that.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

How many people have a particular model of a camera compared to the iPhone? Again, it's iPhone vs. any particular camera model (not all cameras or anything like that).

13. H01D3N macrumors newbie

Yes, but not everyone who has an iPhone listens to music. The OP has a point, apple really can't figure that more people listen to music on iPhone than any other phone. Also, that commercial is biased by itself, because apple would have to say that more people listen to music on the iPhone 5 or 4 or whatever, because they are actually different phones. It's like saying more people listen to music on a galaxy than any other phone. That may be true if every Samsung galaxy was counted. And not everyone uses iTunes Match.

14. mama-exo macrumors newbie

Different phones? They seem all the same to me

15. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Like it was stated before. Not everyone uses iTunes Match. I would go as far as to say there are not that many iphone users that use iTunes Match.

16. mama-exo macrumors newbie

That's not what they said they said:

"Everyday more people take pictures with the iPhone than any other camera."

I mean it's pretty cut and dry.

More people are taking pictures everyday with the iPhone versus cameras.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

"any other camera" is singular, meaning any other specific (model of) camera, not cameras as a whole (as all cameras out there). At least that's certainly a very valid way of reading that. Perhaps there are other ways to interpret that as well, but that way that I mentioned would seem just as valid, if not more so, so using that meaning the statement should be able to hold up without any issues.

18. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Still though there is a lot grey area in that statement.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am assuming they are gathering statistics from match, pandora, spotifyy, etc. I wouldn't suspect that vastly different percentages of people using/listening to music on different platforms.

20. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Well if they are taking data from match it would not be a very fair comparison. Android does not have match, so they would only be using Pandora, Spotifyy, and all the other streaming services to get info from android. Also that is also assuming these streaming companies would give out this info right? Cause the iPhone does not keep track of how much streaming Pandora you use.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Are you sure apple has no way of tracking how many songs are being streamed over iOS? I'm not sure (either way). Seems it would be pretty easy and legal thing for them to do so long as data was kept pretty anonymous.

I don't know, not do I claim to know, any of the answers. I am simply musing here. I still don't think it's far fetched to make the comparison of iPhone having the most music played. Other players which sell a fraction of total sales compared to iPhone would have to have a much higher percentage of those sales playing than the iPhone counterpart, as I said before. This could be a claim that Apple made with some simple deductive reasoning.

Here is an example. For simplicity's sake, let's say iPhone sells 100 units versus 50 units on Android X. A mere 25% of iPhone users enjoy music, meaning 25 units. For Android X to match that, a whopping 50% of sales (or double the percentage of iPhone sales) would have to enjoy music just to break even with the iPhone numbers. iPhone sells so many more units, at least in the states, than any other single phone that it's pretty easy to come to this conclusion without any other data.

Lastly, I will say that I don't know that broad claims like this need to really be backed up. In the Mac v pc ad days there was a router that was supposedly was plug and play with the max but not pc. Have you ever met a router that's not plug and play on a pc? I absolutely have no, ever. I was actually quite upset by those claims in those days as I was a die hard pc guy at the time.

22. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You know what Ad that goes, Most Pictures Taken...

Leno or Letterman made a parody of it, the guy running and taking a photo of a lake, and BAM! a truck runs over him because he wasn't playing attention to the road! LOL wish I had a video to share.

23. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

a little bit off topic but after i watched "Our Signature" commercial youtube suggested i watch the WWDC 2013 keynote. Instead of watching it on youtube I loaded up apple.com and tried to watch it except I got this. :eek:

Attached Files:

24. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Well that use to be the case with one to one comparisons to android, but with the S3 and S4 being so high I am not sure that is the case anymore. I don't want to get into a sales debate, so I will just say it seems very hard to prove from Apples standpoint. Not to say they can't, but I have see no one say where they got these stats from. If they are just basing it purely on iPhone sales compared to any other smartphone I call bull crap.