iPhone contacts syncing with Exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afousek, Nov 18, 2011.

1. afousek macrumors member

I've got a user in our office who upgraded to the iPhone 4S on launch day. He connects to our Exchange server for email, contacts, and calendar. Everything has been fine until this past week. Apparently, contacts that were originally created within Outlook/Exchange, and were synced to his iPhone........are now no longer in Outlook/Exchange. For example, his contacts on the iPhone are correct, but now they are missing on his Exchange mailbox. We've checked both his Outlook client and Exchange web mail. They aren't there. Has anyone seen this?

I wanted to turn the Contacts button off, and then on, to force a new sync, but I didn't want to delete all of the contacts on the iPhone, since that appears to be the only place they exist now.

Any thoughts?

2. MrBob910 macrumors newbie

3. afousek thread starter macrumors member

Not for contacts.

Is there a way to force the iPhone to sync back to Exchange?

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Yes, but like your mentioned in your OP, it will sync to the current status of Exchange, i.e. reads like you'll lose some contacts on your phone.

You should be able to sync/merge contacts via iTunes, clean them up on the desktop and re-sync the phone.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

Lol. It sounds so easy.

iOS doesn't delete Exchange contacts unless you explicitly delete a contact.