iPhone contract advice (Canada)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdubb80, Jul 16, 2013.

1. cdubb80, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

cdubb80 macrumors member

Looking for mobile contract advice please - I am returning to Canada to work at a new hospital at end of July. I was planning to wait until the new iPhone 5S came out in October(?) to sign a wireless contract.

My current options are

(1) Rogers gov't deal ($50 per month on 3 yr contract) - 350 Anytime Minutes, 1000 Local Incoming Included, 250 Canadian Long Distance Minutes Included, free evenings, 5GB data

(2) Telus medical association deal ($50 per month for 3 yr contract, PLUS $250 credit UNTIL JULY 31)- 300 local anytime mins, no free LD mins (but I FaceTime my family anyways), free evenings, 3GB data

With release of new 2 year plans at Telus and Bell (CDN Government restricting 3 year contracts after Dec 2013 but companies compensating by increasing fees) where to get more than 1gb data on a subsidized iPhone plan you are looking at $85-95 per month on 2 year contract, should I bite the bullet and sign up for one of these 3 year deals while they last?

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...ns-on-july-30/
    http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...-leak-details/

If push comes to shove, I could resell the iPhone 5 when the 5s comes out and hopefully not lose to much (mitigated by the $250 Telus credit, and I was previously on 3GS so would still be upgrade using IP5).

P.s. Canada's wireless monopoly sucks big time. Hope Verizon buys in and changes things.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Yes Canada cellular sucks big time. Monopolies can do that. There may be 5 or 6 big companies, but the plans they all offer are so close, how can it not be. Verizon would never be able to change anything. They would probably just fall in line with the other big providers.

Just remember, from my understanding of the new cellular rules coming into effect, even if you sign into a 3 year contract, you will only be bound by 2 years after December 2013. I could be wrong, but have read the new rules and that is what I have concluded from my reading.

The Rogers package is a better deal. Really only a couple of differences. More data and LD with Rogers, less data and no LD, plus credit with Telus. But you will need to decide which of the small differences will best suit your needs. I personally like Rogers over Telus just do to their customer service. Was with Rogers for over 10 years and never an issue. Could always get good tech support as well. Went to Telus and will be going back to Rogers. Only due to tech issues is why I am going back. Nothing else.

iPhone 5 still going to be a good phone for some time to come. The 5 will last you the life of the contract. Besides the 5S will probably only be a small spec upgrade, just as the 4S was to the 4. iPhones do not lose a lot of value and resell very easily, so that may not make that credit look so good.

3. TheProFTW macrumors regular

Rogers still has its 2G network, which could be a big plus on places where 3G just can't reach you, and you get a better plan.

Telus has more LTE markets, and they share their LTE network with Bell, so you get a double chance of getting LTE signal where you are.

4. cdubb80, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

cdubb80 thread starter macrumors member

should i have posted this in buyer's guide forum?

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Nah, good where you are.

6. cdubb80 thread starter macrumors member

update:

one dealbreaker may be that Roger's will only unlock at end of 3 yr contract, Telus unlocks at 90 days.

I will be living 5-10 mins from US border so going down into the US much better to use a US sim card. Also being unlocked would increase resale value should I choose to sell it to upgrade to iphone 5S or 6 in future.

7. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

False, rogers unlocks iphones after 3 months as well for $50.
    Depending on how many minutes you need, you may want to consider Fido. Fido has a $30 6gb add on to any plan. So you can grab the $25 talk and text plan, canada wide, and add the data plan on top of that. Right now, they have double the minutes on the $25 plan so 200 minutes, free after 6 & weekends, unlimited text, 6gb data for $55 total isn't a bad deal.

8. cdubb80, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

cdubb80 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry didn't correct it - the dealer rep told me only after contract ends, but found out on HOFO that its now 90 days as of march 28th. When I sent him the official Rogers announcement, they were surprised about it.

Not sure if getting a new iphone is eligible for the Fido plan you mention. My wife signed up for a different $39 fido deal (getting it for $34) on non-contract, but their ipad data plan is one of the variable use plans ($10 for 125 mb, $25 for 1 gb, etc)

Anyway, for me the Telus unlock fee is $35, and free tethering with Tablet so it would be $50 total, plus a $250 sign up credit. (Rogers is $12 data share fee so would be $62 per month)

9. sohaloh macrumors regular

I use virgin here in canada. No contract. Gold plan, 54 dollars a month, infinite canada wide calling, infinite sms/mms, including international, 2 GB data, 10 voice mail. Suits me pretty well and excellent coverage since it basically uses bells network.

10. Paskell macrumors member

You must be joking.. Rogers has horrible customer service and scams alot of their customers try to add on extra charges for nothing and think people wont notice... What a joke and if you don't live in a big city like van or Calgary your signal will be garbage. Telus or bell have the best signal in BC anyway.

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Location, location, location. Had been with Rogers way to long to argue this point with you. I had great customer service with Rogers. Where I am located (not BC), Telus customer service is a nightmare and not only with their cellular. I do have Telus for other things as well and customer service is the pits. We all have to make our decisions based on our past experiences. Mine with Rogers was very good and I will be most likely going back to them.

Also as an educated consumer, when they try to add on, you the consumer should be questioning if there are added cost. And no, I am not joking.

12. cdubb80 thread starter macrumors member

Yah, still trying to decide between the 2 options

- Roger's corporate plan offers MUCH better value for same price (will never go over my minutes, have lots of LD mins, plus 5gb data) but no credits

- Telus seems to have better coverage in BCs (especially LTE) and I can get the $250 credit, and hopefully the 300 weekday mins and 3gb data is enough.