iPhone contract not up yet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scotigno, Sep 10, 2012.

1. scotigno macrumors member

My iPhone contract won't be up until november and i really want to get the iphone 5. is there anyway to call AT&T and talk to them about letting me start a new contract without paying an extra fee.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Nope. You'll just have to wait and follow the contractual obligations that you agreed to.

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

Maybe you can add a new line and keep a dumb phone attached to it and transfer your upgrade from that dumb line to your main line.

----------

There's no need to be negative.

On a further note, OP I did not see that you're due for an upgrade in November. Call AT&T and tell them that if they don't offer you an upgrade that you will switch to Verizon to get true 4G (LTE) speeds and better coverage.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes you can upgrade to the iPhone 5 the only issue is the price you might have to pay to get it this month vs waiting until Nov.

Call *New# from your iPhone and you will receive a free Admin SMS Txt telling the date that you are eligible for a full subsidy upgrade now or if you only qualify for an Early upgrade that means they want an additional $250. In most cases you should already be eligible but based on several factors the system may indicate that you need to wait until a specific date to qualify for the full subsidy. Give it a try and see what the SMS Txt states.

AT&T would be happy to lock you into a new two year service commitment so that part is not an issue. Also it does not extend your contract, you get a new contract based on the activation date of your new iPhone 5.

Dave

----------

Sorry but this is not correct in many or even most cases. :eek:

AT&T and other carriers are happy to allow you to sign up for a new two year commitment. It just might cost you more for the upgrade if you want to do it now.

Dave

5. cyks, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Didn't realize honesty was considered a negative.

AT&T won't care. They killed off the early upgrades and haven't looked back. They may give a discount on the dummy line you mentioned, but they won't move his date.

Considering the OP asked about moving his ability to upgrade without paying anything extra, I fail to see where I'm wrong... especially when all the advice you gave would force him to pay more.

There have been minimal reports of AT&T changing the dates for anyone so, unless the OP wants to pay more (something they already said they didn't want to do) or they're one of the extremely lucky few, they're stuck waiting until November.

6. scotigno thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am going to call AT&T tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Also just wondering if anyone else has been in my position, and AT&T let them sign up for a new contract a few months before their contract ends.

----------

I could pay an extra amount to get it early, I just don't want to pay the $250, or whatever it is these days.

7. taedouni macrumors 65816

Just do the dumb phone line suggestion that I made. Or do the threat. You can call at different hours in order to get a different representative.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

There is no need to call AT&T. Just call *NEW# from your iPhone and you will get an Admin SMS Txt that will indicate if you are eligible now for a full subsidy upgrade or what specific date you will be eligible for a full upgrade.

Dave

----------

Early Upgrades are still very much alive and well, you just now get one per two year commitment instead of one every year.

No need for AT&T to change the OP's upgrade eligible date. For most customers they are eligible for a full subsidy upgrade sometime between month 18 and 23. In the OP's case, they should be right there and eligible for the full subsidy now. Yes there a few exceptions that may prevent some cusotmers from being elgible for a full subsidy before month 24 but the key word is few...

Dave

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

how much is an iphone anyway without contract? $599 for 16gb?

10. goodwell macrumors newbie

waiting or you go to consult from stakeholders
    :confused::D

11. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

That's not being negative. It's stating fact. I'm sorry your views of fact upset you.

12. taedouni macrumors 65816

Saying that there is no chance is being negative. No is a negative word, it is the opposite of positive (yes).

13. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

It's not being negative. It's a statement of fact based on the contractual obligations of the OP. If someone finds a loophole around it, that's specific to them and does not apply beyond that.

And "no" is a negative word?

I don't find "no" a negative word in countless contexts, including the one of "Sir, will that be your last glass of 27 year single malt for the night?"........speaking of which.