iPhone customers in line robbed at gunpoint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone5preorder, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

At least AT&T stepped up and gave store credit for the stolen devices.

2. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Very cool what AT&T did.
    Quite honestly, I'm a tad surprised this doesn't happen more.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Cool on AT&T but you just know that if they hadn't someone would have sued AT&T for not providing adequate security.

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

Adequate security when the store is closed at 5AM? I don't see how they would be responsible for that.

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Absolutely they would.
    Could any AT&T exec claim that they couldn't foresee lines outside their store on that date and time?
    That's all it would take.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

Bring your own security. Mr Smith and Mr Wesson.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Actually they would be responsible, especially if people are waiting in AT&T property.

8. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can att be held responsible? Nobody asked them to wait outside their store while the store is closed ?

Sorry, don't think this would ever hold up in court. You don't see people getting robbed in store parking lots suing the stores.

9. c0LdFire macrumors regular

I actually thought about how easy this would be this morning as I stood in line. I'm surprised it isn't common. Dozens of lined up nerds to buy a phone (or two or three). They clearly all have a wallet on them since they are there to purchase it, and many might even be paying cash.

They'd have to be careful though. Look away for two seconds and point that gun down and you're going to have 50 people jumping you.

10. KaijuRed macrumors regular

If the robbers were smart, they'd have 50 people coming to rob 50 people lining up.. but they'd have to share the cash and stolen goods among 50 people so that's not so smart.

11. Kendo macrumors 68000

Agreed. If anything, blame should be placed on the police for not patrolling the area at all times of the day. But that is also a huge stretch. Just saying that AT&T themselves should be the least likely to be blamed.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Not only that, most probably have an older iPhone/iPad/iPod on them as well..

13. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

huge points for att in my book which is why im still with them since the original iPhone launch. sucks that it happened though.

14. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone should be blamed. It's Houston at 5am. What else can you expect?

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This has some sense to it. At 5am in any major city, one should have awarness of their surroundings. Having an iPad out on the floor and white earpods in your ears isn't the best idea.

16. joshs2000ss macrumors member

I brought my Glock along with my CCW permit. Didn't anticipate any issues, but you never know these days.