iPhone cycles(3g,3gs,4,4s,...)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rans0m00, Nov 8, 2011.

1. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

So I was sitting back thinking about this since I am up for an upgrade. I have not been with iPhone's for too long so I thought I would ask some other peoples opinions.

What has been the average cycle for the iphone? A new version issued yearly? If so wouldn't it make more sense to get your contract lined up with the "s" versions instead of the initial redesign?

So like right now I have an ip4 but thinking if I hold out till the ip5 they will most likely come out with one that looks the same but has better features the following year. I had no intentions of buying the 4s until I thought about this and having my contract renew at the better tech phone doesn't sound that bad. Opinions?

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think either cycle is good. I went from the original iPhone, to the iPhone 4, then the 4S. I found the iPhone 4 had some problems that frustrated me, mostly with the home button. Also wanted a space upgrade since 16 GB wasn't nearly enough. The 4S has proven to be great so far. I'm not planning to upgrade to next year's model, but will probably hold out for the next one after that. Heck I might even skip the next two models, as I did when I had my original iPhone.

3. elan123 macrumors 6502

Problem is you never know when the next one is coming... so if you wait, you may wait a lot longer than you want to.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Just upgrade every year.

The years that you have full subsidized pricing sell you old iPhone and it will be a wash on money out of pocket or a gain

The years that you eligible for early upgrade pricing or have to pay full price then sell you phone and pay about what you would pay for the full subsidized price.

The great thing about the iPhone is that it holds its value very well which makes upgrading every year palatable.

5. rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no interest in yearly upgrades. I like my phone jb'd and that sounds like a big hassle waiting for the jb every model. I guess when the jb comes for 4s I will upgrade to it and stay till the 5s jailbreak.