iPhone Data Usage W/ Wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bgro, Feb 4, 2012.

1. bgro macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

In light of the recent AT&T throttling I am trying to track my data usage.

Today I reset my data isage tracker on the iPhone (settings--general--usage) and obviously it showed 0 at that point. I am at home on wifi right now. As a test, I surfed a couple of web pages and the countr remained at 0. Then I sent an email to myself using my Gmail account on the iPhone (set up as an exchange account). To my surprise, the data usage counter showed 8kb sent and 8kb received.

How can this be if I am on wifi? No phone calls were made which wouldn't even use cellular data.

Can anyone try this as a test? This seems like a huge issue as I get/send a ton of emails with attachments. I was throttled last month but am constantly on wifi at home and work and trying to figure out how I used 2+Gb of data a month.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you used 2GB of data you must not be constantly on WiFi ... download Dataman

3. bgro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think most of my 2gb comes from using iTunes match in the car. But that's not really the point of this thread, the point is why my iPhone is using cellular data when I'm sitting on my couch connected to wifi right now. I will check out data man though

4. mattraehl macrumors 6502

I don't know what caused the 8 KB, but the Mail app will go over WiFi like everything else. Send yourself a 1 MB attachment while on WiFi and see what happens - I'd wager it won't go up again.

5. bgro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just sent myself a pic from the Iphoen and cellular usage did not go up the amount of the pic (did go up a little however).

Still wondering how iPhone could be using any cellular data when I'm at home on wifi.

6. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

Try calling *3282# (*DATA#) it'll send you a text of what your current usage is.