iPhone design thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwynn65, Sep 23, 2012.

1. dwynn65 macrumors newbie

I commend Apple's engineers for how much smaller they are able to make the components for the iPhone 5. But at some point where is it more important to have a slim phone than it is to have a phone that will last all day. I'm a heavy user. I stream music, podcasts, video etc. and if I'm not near an outlet, I'm going to be searching for one in about 5-6 hours. This is not an issue when I'm in the office, but out in the field is another story. Here are some things I believe should be considered:

Larger battery - I wouldn't mind the extra thickness to be applied to more operating time.

Slide out keyboard - having hard keys and full screen real estate is nice.

More protection for the body would be welcome. Having a slick phone is not nice if you drop it on concrete.

Larger screen - I don't like to have to keep adjusting my eyes to read fine print.

I apologize if these have already been put out there. This is just something I've been thinking about.

2. maclook macrumors 65816

I think the great thing about the iPhone (and iPad) is that they're customizable. What I mean is that if you want a a bigger battery, you can get a Mophie battery case. If you want a keyboard, you can get a keyboard case. When you start with such a thin, solid device, you have more freedom to do what you want with it (though you have to pay for upgrades). For the iPad, you can add a keyboard dock or wireless keyboard or get a stylus if you want.

If you start with a thick, keyboard smartphone, you have no option for it to be thinner or to take off the keyboard. Besides a larger screen, all of your wants can be achieved with third party accessorie.

3. Evo-L macrumors member

Battery will probably not happen. Maybe a more efficient, better battery, but not larger.

Keyboard - never going to happen. The touch interface revolutionized the industry.

More protection? buy a case or dont drop it. If you drop phones a lot, maybe the iphone isnt for you.

Even larger screen? Seriously? Maybe an iPad with cellular signal would help you.

4. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

I'm sure a lot of the things you've mentioned are offered by some android devices!

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Having held one, I still prefer the solid, slightly heavier iPhone 4/4s. Maybe the same thickness as the 4S with a bigger battery to last a tad longer. Screen is just fine, and the button locations are to my liking.

6. dwynn65 thread starter macrumors newbie

The funny thing is I usually end up buying all of the 3rd party options to customize. I'll probably end up getting a Mophie case when they come to market.

I recall seeing a rugged smartphone from Casio that fit some of the criteria I mentioned, but because it is Android was a turn off. My wife has an Android phone (Samsung Infuse) and is very frustrated with the operation of it. I could deal with it but that is only because I will actually read instructions instead of having someone fix things for me. The Infuse is so thin that if feels like it would break easily.

I don't drop phones a lot, but I would like for it to survive in case it did happen. Building a phone that is fragile and slippery is just wrong.