Iphone developer program - paid £59 - what now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benuk, Aug 10, 2008.

1. benuk macrumors newbie

I have just paid £59 for the iphone developer program (standard). I have received a confirmation email for my order from apple, but no further instructions.

If anyone has done this - what happens now? and how long does it take?

thanks in advance!

2. robhedin macrumors regular

You'll get another email with an activation code.

Follow the provided line / instructions and you'll be set!

Shouldn't take too long -- mine came within hours of the payment confirmation.

rob.

3. benuk thread starter macrumors newbie

4. CharQuake macrumors member

5. benuk thread starter macrumors newbie

yes

6. CharQuake macrumors member

how do you sign up for this can anyone do it?

7. aphexii macrumors 6502

Everything you would need to know can be found here;

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/

The fee is only if you want to start selling apps in the app store. You can sign up and download the SDK to start building apps for free. I'm in the process of learning Objective-C. Arduous process as its been YEARS since I last programmed anything of substance, but fun nevertheless.

8. benuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Got an activation code in an email this morning.

You have to pay for the developer program if you want to run your code on an actual device (even if you own that device) or distribute via apps store. Otherwise you would only be able to run programs that you create on the iphone simulator (on pc or laptop) not on a device.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can develop iPhone applications without paying Apple any money by signing up to Apple Developers Connection and the iPhone development program for free. However, these applications will only run on your Macintosh (still good enough for training, or for checking out any application ideas you have).

For $99 or equivalent amount of pounds, you get software that lets you install applications that you wrote on your own iPhone or iPod Touch, or on a small number of other devices for testing, and you can submit applications to the iPhone store. That is what you would pay, whether you are a one man company or whether you are Microsoft.

For $299, you get a package intended for companies; that lets you create iPhone software specifically for your company that you can install on all iPhones in your company without going through the iPhone store; and it lets you do things like erase all iPhones owned by your company in case they get stolen. This is not for software development companies, that is for companies who want to use iPhones.