iPhone Dial Up Modem: Can I use "unlimited minutes" instead of DATA plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Forgeron, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Forgeron macrumors member

I have a 4GB 2G iPhone and a T-Mobile "Unlimited Loyalty" plan. This means that I have unlimited minutes, all the time.

I use my iPhone generally on Wifi, and only sometimes I want to check my email when I am not home. So speed is not important to me.

Is it possible to use my minutes to call a dial up internet provider with my iPhone, and use the internet like that? (And therefore avoid having to buy an extra DATA plan)

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think that form of data is called CSD and I don't see where the iPhone supports it.

3. ajthomason macrumors 6502

No - data is data, calls are calls - you cannot mix and match.

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That's wrong. What do you think happened before GPRS. You essentially performed a dial up connection. And you would get billed by hpw long you were cpnnected for rather than the data you sent and received.

As the previous poster said I don't know, and I doubt, that the iPhone supports

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wouldn't the compression on the voice ruin the dial up?

I mean, music sounds bad enough over the phone ... and I can't imagine how mangled dial-up tones would get :eek:

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

It used to work years ago, but the speeds were insanely slow. 9600?

Since it used voice minutes, and the OP has unlimited voice minutes, it would be cool if it still worked (for stuff like email, at least), but I haven't seen where the iPhone supports it, and IIRC, T-Mobile US doesn't support it anymore either.

7. Forgeron thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just remember that my old Windows Mobile phone could do this, and also the ancient Sony Ericsson p800, which I believe was the first phone with touch screen.

Just curious whether iPhone could do this too.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

ya ... I could see 9600 (with some error correction) possibly working.

But anything above 14.4 would be a hard sell.