iPhone dilemma

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
1,255
9
Here's the deal. My employer just announced that it will no longer be paying for our cell phones or plans, effective at some yet-to-be determined point in the near future. We will be given the option to purchase our current phones from them and to port our numbers to our own account.

I have a 32gig iPhone 4 that is two years old. It works fine. They want to charge me $150 to keep the phone.

I also have an old iPhone 3 that still works that is mine.

Do I:

1) Spend a bit more and get the iPhone 4s (probably the 16gig model for $200), and then forgo the possibility of getting a subsidized iPhone 5 whenever they are released?

2) Pay the $150 and keep my current phone, thereby allowing me to get the iPhone 5 for the subsidized price when it comes out?

3) Pay nothing and revert to my iPhone 3 for the time being and hope that the iPhone 5 is released sooner rather than later?

Will I even be eligible for a subsidized iPhone if I'm already into my contract but haven't bought an iPhone through my cell carrier yet? I assume that it would just restart the clock on my plan. If so, then I'm leaning towards option 3.

What would you do?
 

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
6,473
124
Mpls, MN
You can probably sell the 4 for that much, so it might be worth it. I wouldn't jump into a 4s with contract 3 months before the next one comes out, though. Not when you have 2 choices that will work for awhile.
 
Comment

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
1,359
3,025
Anchorage
Here's the deal. My employer just announced that it will no longer be paying for our cell phones or plans, effective at some yet-to-be determined point in the near future. We will be given the option to purchase our current phones from them and to port our numbers to our own account.

I have a 32gig iPhone 4 that is two years old. It works fine. They want to charge me $150 to keep the phone.

I also have an old iPhone 3 that still works that is mine.

Do I:

1) Spend a bit more and get the iPhone 4s (probably the 16gig model for $200), and then forgo the possibility of getting a subsidized iPhone 5 whenever they are released?

2) Pay the $150 and keep my current phone, thereby allowing me to get the iPhone 5 for the subsidized price when it comes out?

3) Pay nothing and revert to my iPhone 3 for the time being and hope that the iPhone 5 is released sooner rather than later?

Will I even be eligible for a subsidized iPhone if I'm already into my contract but haven't bought an iPhone through my cell carrier yet? I assume that it would just restart the clock on my plan. If so, then I'm leaning towards option 3.

What would you do?

If at all possible I would do what it takes to hold out until the 5. Otherwise you will have to pay a lot more for the 5.
 
Comment

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
4,974
68
If you want recommendations then help those to help you. Post your needs/wants/priorities. Polling isn't the way to determine what's best suited to you.
 
Comment

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
1,255
9
Thanks for the suggestions to buy the iPhone 4 now and sell it later. I hadn't thought of that.

I've since received word that I might be able to hold on to my current phone through the summer, which hopefully will get me closer to the rumored iPhone 5 launch. I agree that getting the 4s is a bad idea.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.