Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Hi..

Im using an iPhone 4G and I had installed all the updates in the past flawlessly. For the first time now, Im stuck and I hate such situations!

Ok, I just connected the iPhone to my Macbook Pro and iTunes said, iPhone has a new update 4.3.2 .

So, I downloaded the update and it was 666MB. It got downloaded and the iPhone went to its update loading screen .

After 15 minutes of no action and with that static screen, iTunes said, AN ERROR OCCURED . ERROR 1602 or something. I dont remember.

Then I disconnected the iTunes from the iPhone.

Still that stupid loading screen was there on the iPhone.

I had to hold down the HOME and START button to switch it off.

Now, when I switch it on, it says, CONNECT TO ITUNES.

And when I connect it to iTunes, it shows nothing about the iPhone and only the RESTORE button is active.

When I click on RESTORE, it says, all data will go boom and new software will get installed.

BUT HOW AM I GOING TO GET BACK WHOLE DATA BACK ?

My contacts, My notes, My Emails , My pictures, My bought apps, games, etc.

WTH ???

lefooey

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2009
Spokane, WA
Hi..

And when I connect it to iTunes, it shows nothing about the iPhone and only the RESTORE button is active.

When I click on RESTORE, it says, all data will go boom and new software will get installed.

BUT HOW AM I GOING TO GET BACK WHOLE DATA BACK ?

My contacts, My notes, My Emails , My pictures, My bought apps, games, etc.

iTunes believes the phone's data is corrupted (which seems likely given the error you're saying).

Once you complete the restore, the iPhone will reconnect and iTunes will offer to restore it from your last backup.

You HAVE been syncing, right?

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
I fear, when I did the last SYNC.

And I use 3 machines for the iPhone, so Im not sure, from where to restore from backup or how to find the backup and from where.

Im crazy stuck and I hate such situations. ****** Apple, this is crazy!

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
I fear, when I did the last SYNC.

And I use 3 machines for the iPhone, so Im not sure, from where to restore from backup or how to find the backup and from where.

Im crazy stuck and I hate such situations. ****** Apple, this is crazy!

Don't get angry at Apple, you are the one who hasn't managed your backup/sync process effectively. If you had, this would be nothing. Be mad at yourself.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Well, id there a way to e my contacts back atleast ?

Your backups would make your phone look exactly like before this happened.

Go into the preferences of iTunes on each computer and view the devices tab. It will show you the last backup date of each device that has synced with it.

Restore using the most recent computer.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Here is how, I fixed it.

The problem was iTunes and OS X, which were 2 months old and not the latest versions.
Just upgraded them, then restored to factory and then restored my backup and its done..
Woohoo!!!

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Ouch..
Another problem..

I just connected the iPhone to my another iMac, which had 11th March backup or something.
I dint know that.

Connected the iPhone and clicked on SYNC.
It removed all of my data and installed the march backup.

Grrrrrr..

Now, how does SYNC means restore ?

I dont understand this.

How are well supposed to take backup then , when we connect to a machine ?

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Ouch..
Another problem..

I just connected the iPhone to my another iMac, which had 11th March backup or something.
I dint know that.

Syncing your phone with multiple copies of iTunes is dangerous. Not a good idea.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
How are well supposed to take backup then , when we connect to a machine ?

If you just want to backup on another machine then right click on the phone in iTunes and select Backup. There is another option called "Transfer Purchases" which will transfer all apps and music that your computer is authorized for. Keep in mind this method excludes videos and music that weasn't purchased from the iTunes store.
I think it is a good idea to only use the Sync option with one computer. Using it on more than one you are looking for trouble. The backup and transfer purchse options can be used on multiple computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.