iPhone directly to AirPort Express via AirPlay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chenjas1, Nov 22, 2010.

1. chenjas1 macrumors member

Is it possible to stream music via AirPlay from an iPhone directly to an AirPort Express without having an active wi-fi connection?

In other words, can I simply plug in the AirPort Express to a set of speakers and stream music without having any wi-fi or ethernet connection in the building?

I'm having trouble getting AirPlay to work at my place of work. It's set up correctly but when I press play, the connected speakers play my streaming music but only for one second before the sounds cuts out. I am thinking it has something to do with the building's internet connection.

2. jas1973, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

jas1973 macrumors 6502

Airplay will only stream to ATV or airport express that are on your home network. So no it will not work if you are not connected to your home network wifi

3. Vidiot62 macrumors newbie

You need a wifi network, as it is over this network that the iPhone transmits the audio to the airport express, but you do not need an active internet connection. What you are doing should work, and the fact that it plays for a second suggests that a connection is being established but something is disrupting it. Perhaps try broadcasting your network on a different channel?

4. chenjas1 thread starter macrumors member

I'll give changing the channel a shot. To do this I would use Airport Utility, right? I think I saw that it was on Channel 11... Do I simply change the channel to, let's say 10, manually? Any other setting changes?