iPhone dust cleaning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blah007, Oct 2, 2013.

1. blah007 macrumors member

There is a lot of dust in the speaker and ear piece in my iPhone 5 since being put in my pocket all the time.
    Any recommendations on cleaning it out without damaging the phone?
    I have a case on it but it doesn't protect the open areas on the phone
    Thanks in advance.

2. AAPLinc, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

This is one of the reasons why I hated putting my 4S into my pocket. I ended up getting a Lifeproof case that covered speaker and earpiece grills so nothing got gunked up in there. Kept the phone looking mint. And I threw it in my pocket carelessly.

When gunk gets in there, I find myself constantly trying to blow it out (with my mouth, dont use spray can air). I have always wanted to try this stuff called Cyber clean:

http://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Clean-25055-Office-Pop-up/dp/B00375JBL4

It's like a putty that you can place in orifices and its supposed to grab the lint and gunk but not leave any residue. People use it on keyboards, electronics, cameras, phones... worth a shot and its super cheap.

I wish Lifeproof had a 5S case, but I dont know how that would work with the FP scanner. I feel like I'm going to have that "I refuse to put my phone in my pocket because of lint" problem with my 5S. I do have charge port and earphone port cover plugs coming in the mail. No gunk in there!

3. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

This actually isn't recommended because it blows the lint and dirt DEEPER into the phone, which can cause screen issues.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Scotch tape also works well to pull out debris, without damaging the phone, though you have to make sure it's just regular scotch tape that doesn't stick to much other than paper.

Packing tape, duct tape and etc. could be too sticky and may mar the finish, or leave debris of its own.

5. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Pockets are nasty!:p

Using canned air can blow the dust into places inside the phone. I would not!

6. sk24iam macrumors regular

I agree with the canned air. Try to clean your phone every few months so the dust doesn't ever cause any internal damage.

7. emseven macrumors regular

I was hoping for a mild suggestion like the alcohol swabs that come with some screen protectors. My earpiece is dusty from pockets as well and canned air will just blow it into the iPhone.

8. Steveh2780 macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Brasso Gadget care is great for overall cleaning of iPhones, quick drying and leaves no residue. I also use it to clean the inside of cases to prevent scratching once phone is inside case