iPhone fell in water. How to retrieve my photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bartos88, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Bartos88 macrumors member

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I was stupid enough to jump into the water with my iPhone 4S in my pocket and now it's not really working anymore. When I plug it into the charger (wall socket) I can turn it on, but it doesn't seem to be charging and turns off every 2 minutes and reboots. And as soon as I unplug the iPhone turns off directly. It can't find a network and I can't turn the wifi on (it's unselectable lightgrey). When I plug it in a USB port it doesn't turn on, like there's not enough power. So I have no way to get my pictures of my phone. Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks alot.

2. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

If its still powering up after all that then there's a chance you can still completely dry it out so that it will stay on long enough to transfer the photos over to a computer. If you're comfortable doing this, you should take it apart and blow compressed air all thru the inside to remove any remaining liquid and moisture.

Aside from that, did you have photo stream turned on?

3. Bartos88 thread starter macrumors member

I'm afraid I didn't have photostream turned on. I could try to open it up if I can find the correct screwdriver.

4. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Do you have a fairly recent backup made to either iTunes or iCloud?

If you have an iTunes backup there is software that allows you to extract the photos and any other information you might like.

If you have an iCloud backup you could borrow a friends phone, back it up, restore it to your iCloud backup, transfer the photos, then restore it to the backup of his phone you just made.

6. Bartos88 thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure a backup was made at least once. But I can't find it on my mac. I looked for ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ but the MobileSync folder doesn't exist on my mac.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

Google iBackupBot, download it and run it. If you have a backup made, it'll show up in there, and you'll be able to browse it :)

8. Bartos88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! Apparently I made a backup in January and it contains about half of my pictures. I guess I'll have to open it up to see if I can get the rest.

9. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm happy you'll be able to salvage at the very least half of them! :)

So, for your next phone, don't forget: backups and Photostream ;)

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Been looking forward to the first day of summer? :D

11. Bartos88 thread starter macrumors member

Hehe. I was at a waterfall and it was so beautiful I just had to jump in right away :p

12. Joyce234, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

Joyce234 macrumors newbie

In my experience, Once your iphone fell in water, you can use the electric hair drier first.
    If the iphone still doesn't work and you want to retrieve the iphone data, you can get them from your iphone backup files.
    How to recover the lost iphone photo ?

13. magilla macrumors regular

And maybe a completely waterproof case and try not jumping into water with your Fone.:eek:

14. CiceSlia macrumors newbie

How can I recover deleted pictures from the iPhone? I accidentally honeymoon pictures, is there some sort of recycle bin feature?