iPhone finally at Alltel

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Ccrooks, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Ccrooks macrumors newbie

About two weeks ago Alltel wireless got iPhone! I want to be able to get it but my upgrade isn't until January so I can't afford $800 to pay them. However I've noticed that apple doesn't even say Alltel supports iPhone. Alltel has all iPhones 4 and up. Does anyone know out there what particular iPhone 4 (since I cant afford a 5 without a uograde price) I would need to get to be able for it to work with there networks? Thanks

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Isn't Alltel Verizon?

3. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

They only share towers that's it! Same thing happened to them like the T-Mobile and AT&T deal. Those just share towers now also.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmmmm, looks like they did a little more than a tower sharing deal! 34 states down to 6?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alltel

5. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

They were aqquired but They're on there own agin! I know the mgt of a alltel retail location and she fusses at me every time I mention the word Verizon because there not together! Old info!

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

When Verizon wanted to buy Alltel back in 2008, the FCC said they could, except for 105 markets.

Of those 105 markets Verizon couldn't buy, AT&T bought 79 of them, and a company called ATN bought the remaining 26. ATN has been operating those 26 markets under the name "Alltel". So to your point, the current network called Alltel has nothing to do with Verizon, or the company that was called Alltel Wireless a few years ago.

Interestingly, about three months ago, AT&T announced that they're acquiring Alltel from ATN. So I guess the manager of the Alltel retail location is going to get new bosses again. :)

And that sort of puts you in a weird position. If AT&T's acquisition goes through, are they going to start switching the network technology over to what they normally use (GSM/UMTS/HSPA), or are they going to leave it how it is (CDMA/EVDO)? That would affect how your iPhone would work, if you're planning on keeping it for a few years.

7. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if they will change the name over to AT&T? See if you can find which one it is that Alltel supports now. Apple.com doesn't even show that Alltel supports iPhone so it isn't there.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Haven't heard what AT&T's plans are for Alltel.

It doesn't look like the Apple Store sells iPhones for the smaller US carriers like Cricket, Virgin Mobile, nTelos, Straight Talk, Alltel, etc.

AFAIK, there is only one model of each iPhone (4, 4s, 5) that supports CDMA (which appears to be the technology that Alltel uses). The thing about CDMA carriers is that some have "policies" where they won't allow customers to activate CDMA devices that have an ESN (electronic serial number) that indicates the phone is from another CDMA carrier. For example, I think Sprint will not allow a Verizon iPhone to be activated on their network, even though they're both CDMA networks and the phone should technically work.

If Alltel doesn't have that policy (you'd probably have to call their tech support to find out), then your cheapest bet for getting an iPhone before your Alltel contract is up for renewal may be to buy a used one from someone.

9. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

Verizon is using CDMA right? AT&T and T-Mobile are the only ones still using GSM. Correct?

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right. Verizon/Sprint use CDMA, and AT&T/T-Mobile use GSM.

11. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'm gonna call and ask the mgt of my location. Ill let you know what she says so it will be on here for others.

12. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

Ah Alltel. It was the only carrier to compete with Verizon in my part of Ohio when I was growing up. That changed after the buyout, and now Verizon is the only carrier available.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I wonder how many "secret" operators there are around the world. It's the same here in NZ with Skinny Mobile; there's no mention of it on Apple's site but you get an official carrier bundle etc. so it's all fully supported.

14. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

At least for the US, this appears to be the list of carriers that sell iPhones.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you go to Apple's online store, they only mention AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. However, if you go to any of the carriers below website, they all show that they sell the iPhone.

But to your point, there are undoubtedly others that don't sell the iPhone (and aren't on this list) that will send down a carrier bundle to iPhones that happen to end up on their network. :)

Personally, I haven't heard of the majority of these US carriers! :eek:

Alaska Communications
    Alltel
    Appalachian Wireless
    AT&T2
    Bluegrass Cellular
    C Spire
    Cellcom
    Chariton
    GCI
    Golden State Cellular
    MTA
    Nex-Tech Wireless
    nTelos
    Pioneer Wireless
    Sprint Wireless
    SRT
    Straight Talk
    Strata
    T-Mobile USA
    Verizon Wireless
    Virgin Mobile USA
    West Central Wireless

16. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

17. nav0413 macrumors newbie

18. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

If anyone cares to know, Alltel supports the A1387 model of iPhone 4 and 4S. AT&T will be taking over Alltel completely with a name change and all. Alltel will officially no longer exist. Verizon has completed there take over on there markets and AT&T will finish theres sometime soon. Farewell Alltel!

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Very cool info! :)

The A1387 is the model of the iPhone 4s made for everywhere except China, so I guess that makes sense.

For the iPhone 4, the are two model numbers, one for CDMA networks (like Alltel currently), and one for GSM networks (like AT&T currently). Wonder which one they'll support?

Attached Files:

20. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

One of the agents at Alltel was kind enough and went in the back and said the A1387 was for both models.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmm, interesting.

A1387 is the model number for the non-China iPhone 4s, so that makes sense.

A1349 and A1332 are the model numbers for the iPhone 4. The first model number is the CDMA iPhone 4, and the last one is the GSM iPhone 4.

22. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm that's weird! She must have gotten confused!

23. alastairhall macrumors newbie

iPhone finally at Alltel

Alltel wireless website shows that iPhone is already supported but apple didn’t show alltel in their supporting network list for iphone. So you better confirm from nearest apple store.

24. Ccrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

25. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

It's a bit more complex than that. Verizon bough Alltel (years ago) and was forced to divest large chunks where there'd be minimal competition afterwards. AT&T bought most of those areas, and Atlantic Tele-Network bought the rest (not counting a lease that ended creating Element Mobile). Atlantic Tele-Network bought rights to use the Alltel name and created a subsidiary, Allied Wireless, to operate the ex-Alltel markets (creating what I'll call new Alltel for lack of a better name)

AT&T has long completed the takeover of the markets they initially got, including the one I'm in (Montana). What's happened now is AT&T has now purchased Allied Wireless, the subsidiary of Atlantic Tele-Network operating new Alltel). This is awaiting federal approval.

Confusing, yes. AT&T has bought Alltel markets twice now. Once in the initial transaction, and now a few years later, ones they didn't initially get. They've done pretty well here - it's not perfect by any means but it's better than anything else around.