Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 'Find My Phone' ebay confusion

MrManwelo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have after recently selling an iPhone 4s on ebay.

The buyer sent me this message this morning:

Hi i bought your iphone 4s on ebay and it came today although i cannot put my apple id in it as u have the find my iphone app on it so i need your apple id n password to Activate the phone and chAnge the detAils if u could get back to me asap that would be great thank you

Is there anything I can do other than giving my log in details (as this is something I don't want to do). I factory reset the phone before i sent it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Did you turn off find my iPhone?

Tell him to ship it back if you don't want to give him the password and change it once he's removed your Apple ID.

Comment

mcapanelli

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Whitestone, NY
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have after recently selling an iPhone 4s on ebay.

The buyer sent me this message this morning:

Is there anything I can do other than giving my log in details (as this is something I don't want to do). I factory reset the phone before i sent it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you wipe the phone before you sold it?

Comment

MrManwelo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Did you turn off find my iPhone?

Tell him to ship it back if you don't want to give him the password and change it once he's removed your Apple ID.

Is this the only way? And yes, I did wipe the phone.

Comment

Cojm

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Someone HAS to enter the details for THAT apple ID. no way around it.

Comment

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Just give him the details, then change them after he unlocks the phone.

It's not difficult.

You also now have PROOF that he received the phone, so he won't be trying any "but all I got was a rock" scams going forward. If you ship it back to him unlocked he could always just claim that's what you did.

Just give him the password, then change it after he confirms the unlock and switches to his details.

Comment

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Even if you remove it from the website the device still is registered and locked to that Apple ID.
oh, ok thanks!

It's not difficult.

You also now have PROOF that he received the phone, so he won't be trying any "but all I got was a rock" scams going forward. If you ship it back to him unlocked he could always just claim that's what you did.

Just give him the password, then change it after he confirms the unlock and switches to his details.

As long as you have 2 step verification on also, it's not like he can do any real damage

Comment

MrManwelo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010

It's not difficult.

ok, I'll go ahead and do that. Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
The password isn't stored on the device, so you can change your password, then give him the new password, then change it back (or change it to a new password). That way if you use the same or similar passwords for other things you won't be giving out that information.

I would also suggest doing it over the phone with him so your password is compromised for the least amount of time. Have him get the phone ready to enter the account email and password, give him the password, then as soon as he enters it and the phone moves on go ahead and change your password.

Comment

ArtVandelay29

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2014
DFW
The password isn't stored on the device, so you can change your password, then give him the new password, then change it back (or change it to a new password). That way if you use the same or similar passwords for other things you won't be giving out that information.

I would also suggest doing it over the phone with him so your password is compromised for the least amount of time. Have him get the phone ready to enter the account email and password, give him the password, then as soon as he enters it and the phone moves on go ahead and change your password.

Both of these ideas are great advice. If I were in your position, OP, this is exactly how I'd handle it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.