iPhone for my mom!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ee99ee, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

My mom is going to be getting an iPhone in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if the Apple store offers a free training class or anything on the basics of iPhone usage? Sure I could show her, but it would be nice if the Apple store does that for new users.

She knows nothing about iOS, iTunes, or anything Apple. Her system at home is Windows 7, so this will be the first foray into the Apple universe.

She'll be here in NYC when she qualifies for it.

-Chris

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

If she goes to the apple store they will work with her untill she has a good basic understanding.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I know they have tutorial classes for ipads so they might for the iPhone

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's really not that much to learn about it.

5. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

For the technologically impaired, yes there is. For me and you, of course not... but for parents? Yes, there is. That's why I was asking if Apple has training or something to understand what apps are, how to use the phone, etc... because I'm too impatient to do it myself. hehe

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Check with your carrier. My local verizon store holds classes regularly on the basics of Android/iOS.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i thought the same thing until i handed my iPhone to my girlfriend.

she then asked "how do i go back to the main screen?"

so i broke up with her

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

How old is your Mom? I suspect she will learn faster than you think! As long as she gets the basics, she can learn as she goes.

Give you Ma some credit!:p

9. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I had the joy of teaching my Wife,Aunt, Mum,Dad and Grandparents (Who are in there late 70's) and they all picked up the basics on their own pretty quick. My grandmother was the only one who struggled to begin with. She popped into the Apple Store and they helped her. She just spoke to one of the creatives.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

There is one listed called "Getting Started With iPhone 4S"

See the link for schedules :)

http://www.apple.com/retail/workshops/

11. Mikesus macrumors 6502

if you post a pic of her you can probably get someone here to help ;)

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

We actually were at the Apple store the other day and they were having a "class" like this. It was all a bunch of fifty-somethings learning how to set up their email. I expect that they only teach really basic stuff like that, but it is probably worth it for the clueless.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

The AppStart app on the App Store is also nice for new comers. Installed it (while it was free) on my parent's iOS devices.

14. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

its not to hard to teach i taught my mom the basics how to unlock the phone and make calls

15. stark4 macrumors 6502

if she doesn't know anything about iPhone ..what makes you think she'll like it? Some people just want to use the phone for just basic phone calls only. Specially older people like my parents.

16. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

My mom is 65 and she didn't know much about technology a few years ago. We've slowly been teaching her about the internet and now she knows how to use facebook, email, her iphone and her ipad along with attaching, sending and taking pictures (even taking her ipad and iphone to India - I showed her how to take her sim cards out and put a new one in). I'm slowly trying to convince her to get rid of her Dell laptop and buy a Mac. Don't doubt anybody's ability, especially when they have an interest in learning new things.

17. DroidRules macrumors 65816

When my daughter was 2 she could pick up and figure out the basic and not so basic workings of the iPhone. Take that as you will.

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I take this as completely unhelpful to the OP and pointless to post.