iPhone for senior citizen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vahighland, Oct 25, 2013.

1. vahighland macrumors member

I'm researching phones and plans for my late seventies mom. She has arthritis and becomes overwhelmed with many options, but no issues with reading or hearing. She wants a large/wide phone (because of the arthritis) plus something that can take good pictures. The regular phones are too small for her to hold and take lousy pictures.

I looked into the Jitterbug touch, which seems easy to use, but there are very few reviews. In one of the legit reviews, the reviewer wan not impressed and frustrated with the phone slowness and reboots. She needs something reliable.

Since she has a Mac laptop and has the need for taking decent pics, I was thinking about an iPhone. This way, she can easily transfer the pics to her computer.

I'm aware that the iPhone has accessibility features, but that entails vision impairment or hearing issues. I really want the capability to remove all the icons she doesn't need. I would love to display Phone, Photos, Camera, and Settings. This is the big issue with many seniors, there are just too many options and they get confused easily.

The other angle to this the monthly service plans. I don't want to spend too much money on the monthly plan since she's really just needs voice, but no data or texting. I realize all these companies require data plans, but I'm hoping to get something as cheap as possible. Better to buy an older iPhone outright and go with metro for example or get a two year contract and get an iPhone for cheap?

So I'm curious how has everyone else handled their senior parents/grandparents when it comes to cell phones?

2. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I'm in a similar situation. I'd live to give me dad my old iPhone 3GS just so that he send messages and make the occasionally voice call. The accessibility features iOS are great and Find My Phone could be a big help if it were ever needed.
    This is one where I think the FCC should step-up and force providers to offer subscribers the ability to have smartphones without data plans. They'll complain that smartphones "need" cellular data when I think many customers would be able to get by using wifi only and saving $30+ a month.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I would think that in this case, the bigger the screen on the smartphone the better. I'd suggest considering a large screen Android phone that you set up for her. I think T-mobile has some very inexpensive and minimal data plans.

4. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Android phone is to complex for someone already not in the mix of smart phones(had one for years). Thats why I got my mom a iPhone 4s, its alot simpler and easier to learn. Also with bold text with iphone makes it easier to read. I say iPhone

5. KP726 macrumors newbie

iphone would be better than android for an older person. gave my dad a SGS3 and had the hardest time with it after switching from on older iphone. I am switching him back to the iphone soon. big screen but not as easy to learn as ios in my opinion

----------

also facetime incorporation makes it easier than skype if you use it for her and grandkids, etc

6. Altis macrumors 68020

Try to get an iOS 6 device... far more intuitive and easier on the eyes than iOS 7. The used market should have some nice 5, 4S, 4, or even 3GS devices. 3GS is comfortable, cheap, and guaranteed to run iOS 6. iPhone 5 is lightweight, which may be good.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Find a store with the iPhone 5 or 5s or android type display and ask her to use it for awhile. If she can handle it, then that's your answer. If she cannot, you just saved some money and a contract.

8. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

+1. definitely an iPhone as it is so user friendly compare to android.