iPhone for T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonathanlaniado, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jonathanlaniado macrumors member

I want to get the new iPhone this year, but I have a problem. T-Mobile screwed me over - they told me they put me in for a one-year contract; however, it is really a two-year contract. I called and emailed T-Mobile numerous times and they keep apologizing and telling me that there is nothing they can do. How am I supposed to get an iPhone now, I don't want to wait another year! And please don't tell me to get an unlocked one, because I honestly would not like to pay $700 or so for a phone. Let me know and your help is appreciated in advance.

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

There is currently no iphone for t-mobile so you're going to have to purchase one off contract either way

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Next time be more carefull when you sign a contract.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What kind of phone did you get with that 2-year contract from T-Mobile? How much could you get from your phone and use that to pay the ETF?

I plan on getting an unlocked 5 and going with T-Mobile on a pre-pay plan month to month non-contract. Mathematically, for my use, it works out cheaper than paying contract. You may have to do the same if you want an iP5 and stay with T-Mobile.

5. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Yeah you will most likely need to get an unlocked one or wait for a software hack to come out to unlock the new iPhone. There are rumors of tmobile getting the iPhone but I don't believe they will get it next month with the other carriers since theyre not yet finished refarming their network to support the 1900mhz band used by the iPhone. It might be early 2013 before Apple finally gives it to them.

I don't think any carrier offers one year contracts anymore. You should've been more careful.

6. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

First of all. One year contracts do not exist on T-Mobile so you were fooled when they did whatever they did to your account. Second, there is no iPhone for TMO this year. Probably next year. What you can do is pay $650 for the unlocked version and swap the sim. You can also cancel your contract if you want. It's $200 per line; ETF. Good luck. :cool:

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just buy the iPhone factory unlocked. Your life isn't over yet ;). You're going to be spending that money over time anyway, so you might as well get it all over with.

After buying your factory unlocked iPhone, talk with T-Mobile to get you on a lower priced plan, because you brought your own phone.

They're working on enabling 3G ("4G") for all iPhones as we speak, so you won't be missing out on much, short of Visual Voicemail.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm curious, my parents received an unlocked iPhone 4 and last week I went to T-Mobile to purchase a $30/mo. plan to see test how well the reception is where they live. I paid with a CC and signed on that small lcd monitor on that register table. Then, the guy started giving me a bunch of paperwork, which I thought was odd for a 1 month prepaid trial. Do you think he conned me into a contract? I just checked the paperwork that I initialed in four places, and nothing about a 1-year commitment. I only signed for the 30-day plan which I paid $30 plus tax for.

This thread got me thinking......

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well, then what do you mean T-Mobile says there is nothing they can do? If that is what you bought, that is what you bought. Dont you have 2 weeks to decline it if you want?

I cant see where T-Mobile has you over a barrell. And if in fact you didnt read what you were getting, paying $200 to get out is cheaper than paying $700 for an unlocked one. Not sure when or if T-Mobile is getting the iPhone anyways.

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

This thread just got me thinking. I did check my forms between the time I posted that last comment - OP's post got me thinking. Yes, T-Mobile sold me a plan that I asked for. Everything is good. Besides, I brought in an unlocked iPhone 4, so there's no way, I think, they could get anyone to commit to a contract in this case.

11. slabwax macrumors member

T-mo also got me on an extra year. I'm in the same boat. Don't bet on a IPhone on T-mo anytime soon. Best bet is a year from now or after they are sold to a new company. They don't won't to take on the financial load before they sell the company.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T got my cousin on a 2 year contract just by giving her a sim card.
    She brought in her own iphone and wanted a month to month plan but they duped her and months later she had to pay an ETF and never received a subsidy on anything besides a sim that costs pennies.
    Carriers and salespeople will pull stunts like that to get the commision and then good luck trying to fix it.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Small letters on contracts, read them. Understand what you sign before you sign.

14. calvol macrumors 6502a

There's a little known way to get out of a contract, and that is to document that your calls have been dropped three times within a certain period (this is in CA). Find a dead spot, go through it a few times and then show the records of the dropped call to the operator.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

T-mobile used to have one year contracts, especially for cheaper phones. These ended a number of years ago. The OP is going to pay no matter what if he wants an iphone. As far as T-mobile is concerned, their prepaid plans look cheap. Those should be considered if buying an unlocked or used iphone.

What kind of abstraction prevented her from understanding the agreed upon terms? She would have needed to agree to the ETF for it to be in effect. This is what happens when you buy a phone. You're only charged that ETF because it is in your contract. I read everything, but she could have probably fought that one given that they really weren't losing the cost of an expensive phone on her.

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Which is why I posted that earlier comment. When I was at T-Mobile, I was very explicit and that I would be away for four months and that I did not want a contract. I found it strange that after I paid for the $30 plan, the guy started whipping out this paper work. He had me sign 4 boxes. I read each box and had him re-state what I was initialing. I do have a copy of my paperwork which he gave me and it does say the following:

$30 LOOSE ACTIVATION KIT"
    Rate Plan Charge $30.00 1500 Talk Text, 30MB data plan.
    Account Balance of $0.00
    Pre-paid Service

It also says, By using prepaid service, or if you fail to activate service within 30-Days from purchase, you accept T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions, available at T-Mobile.com

It was expressed that if I don't reactivate by the 30th day, I loose the number. And because the sim was activated, I benefit the entire 30 Days of full use of the plan, whereas is it wasn't activated, it was days lost since the sim was not activated the day it was purchased. At least that's how I understood that "fail to activate" clause.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The prob was that she was in the US for only a year for college and English was her 2nd language so I dont think she read and understood everything.
    Either way a few days after her school was over she had to take off back to Europe and her card was already charged the remaining ETF so she gave up on chasing it.
    Pretty messed up situation.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Awww :(. That really sucks. I figured there was more to it, and yeah that is dumb. The ETF is supposed to be there for phone subsidies. I hate AT&T. I'm never going back to them. That was the reason I skipped the iphone initially. There was no way I was going back to AT&T just for a shiny phone. From all of the comments on here and others I know who have AT&T, I'd say I made the right choice.

19. ET iPhone Home, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Which is why I posted that earlier comment. When I was at T-Mobile, I was very explicit and that I would be away for four months and that I did not want a contract. I found it strange that after I paid for the $30 plan, the guy started whipping out this paper work. He had me sign 4 boxes. I read each box and had him re-state what I was initialing. I do have a copy of my paperwork which he gave me and it does say the following:

T-MOBILE MONTHLY 4G* / NO ANNUAL CONTRACT SERVICE CONFIRMATION
    $30 LOOSE ACTIVATION KIT
    Rate Plan Charge $30.00 1500 Talk Text, 30MB data plan.
    Account Balance of $0.00
    Pre-paid Service

It also says, By using prepaid service, or if you fail to activate service within 30-Days from purchase, you accept T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions, available at T-Mobile.com

It was expressed that if I don't reactivate the plan by the 30th day, I loose the number entirely and would have to reapply for a new sim card with a different number. Since the sim was activated on the date of purchase, I benefit the entire 30 Days of full use of the plan, whereas, if it hadn't been activated, it would be days lost until the sim is activated. At least that's how I understood the "fail to activate" clause.

20. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Not sure why you had to initial or sign anything for a Monthly 4G plan. I work at T-Mobile and for those plans all you do is pay your money and get activated. You don't even have to give your real name if you don't want to.