nataly44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
when i was travel with a gps app running for 30 minutes or more

my iphone got too hot and then i got a message

iphone needs to cool down before you can use it

can you please answer my 3 questions

1-does that did any damage to my iphone?

2-does that message normal when using the gps for 30 minutes or more

3-how to fix that

i have iphone 4s (new) in use for3 months only

running ios 5.0.1

and jailbroken

yes
it was under my windshield
with a case on the iphone
and i thing it was a hot weather

i was driving

also like i said its a new iphone 4s

Last edited:

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
It's probably not "normal", but was it sitting in the sun under your windshield or something? Just thought I would ask since you said you were using gps.

nataly44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
yes
it was under my windshield
with a case on the iphone
and i thing it was a hot weather

also like i said its a new iphone 4s

briantaylor619

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
A patient goes to see a doctor and complains that “Doc it hurts when I do this. Please help!” To which the doctor replies somewhat simply, “Then stop doing that”!

nataly44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
last question please im too worry

any damage happened to the iphone?
how can i khnow?
please answer me?

nataly44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
also its working good now with no proplems

how can i do if any damage happened to the iphone

Jedii

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
My Iphone gets hot if i use it for more than a few minutes on 3G, i gave up caring a long time ago. :rolleyes:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
also its working good now with no proplems

how can i do if any damage happened to the iphone
As long as you let it cool down, and it's working fine now, then there probably isn't any damage. It likely wasn't the GPS that caused the problem, but the combination of it sitting in direct sun, under a glass windshield, inside a hot car. Any piece of electronics in that situation has a high likelihood of overheating.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Wait a sec, do you actually get a message that pops up on your screen if your iPhone 4s is too hot? I've never heard of this before.
I call baloney on that one too. Never in my entire life have I seen anything like that. And I have used iOS devices for a long time

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I call baloney on that one too. Never in my entire life have I seen anything like that. And I have used iOS devices for a long time
I've gotten that same message a few times during the winter when the heater would blow on my iPhone. You can't do a thing with the phone while that message is displayed until it cools down.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Wait a sec, do you actually get a message that pops up on your screen if your iPhone 4s is too hot? I've never heard of this before.
Yup, it happens. There's an alert noise (it sounded like metal doors slamming) and the message pops up. When it happened, it scared the hell out of me, but I just let the phone cool down and everything has been fine since.

Much like the OP, without thinking, I was using it as a GPS (Waze) up on the dash.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Never in my entire life have I seen anything like that. And I have used iOS devices for a long time
That means nothing. "Having used iOS devices for a long time" doesn't mean that you've used them in situations where they would have overheated. Time and heat are two different things.

Search is your friend. Never assume that what you've experienced is all that exists.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2101

It likely wasn't the GPS that caused the problem, but the combination of it sitting in direct sun, under a glass windshield, inside a hot car. Any piece of electronics in that situation has a high likelihood of overheating.
A lot of smartphones do warm up with GPS usage. The other conditions above certainly do not help.

Last edited:

twysta

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
London, United Kingdom
"Some conditions and activities that may activate the Temperature warning message:

Leaving the device in a car on a hot day.
Leaving it in direct sunlight for extended amounts of time.
Using certain features in hot conditions or direct sunlight for long periods of time, such as GPS tracking in a car on a sunny day or listening to music while in direct sunlight."

There you go :eek:)

kdarling

macrumors P6
It made a lot of news when people first tried out their new iPads sunning themselves by a pool, and found out the tablets got too hot.

The iPhone version looks like this:

iphone_hot.png

Apple is infamous for always trying to get by with the slimmest cases with no cooling. It's mostly a Jobs thing; he didn't like fans or cooling slots.

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
this is not an informative post so please do not treat it as such....

to OP:

you are definitely Blonde....hehe
or i'd like to think soooo

btw avoid keeping iDevices in the heat. as many pointed out the auto temp sensor kicks in and once it does, it will many times even when it isn't remotely hot. my expeience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.