iPhone, Gmail App and PHPing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Jul 17, 2013.

1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Hi, today i received an email from someone i know probably being hacked. The email was mimic ing the google drive user share feature and it said that the user has shared a file with me and i needed to enter a link and log in with my google account. I clicked the link from the gmail app and saw the site was not from google and of course i did not continue with the log in process. I cant change my pass from an insecure hotel wireless so i need to wait. I want to know if my account is compromised by just clicking the link.

The site ended with the .htm extension

2. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you didn't login into your account (and perhaps weren't already logged in to it) then it sounds like you are most likely safe.

4. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

I was auto logged in the gmail app and i opened the link form there. The link was this one: http://beesbrand.net/larr/google/index.htm

5. C DM, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, sounds like you should fine since that page is on a completely different domain and you didn't do anything on that page like enter any information or anything like that.

That said, if you are worried about it, changing your password (if not a huge hassle) isn't necessarily a bad idea or anything like that, but it doesn't seem necessary, and if you do decide to do it, it's not really something that must be done immediately or anything like that given this level of exposure to what's essentially phishing and doesn't seem to be anything worse than that.

Keep in mind, just for your peace of mind, you can also usually monitor your account activity as far as Google is concerned at https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity and keep an eye out for anything strange there if/when you want to.

6. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks i was worried the app or the page used the app information.