iPhone Help Request - All songs and video showing as "other" in capacity bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chiggs, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Chiggs macrumors member

I have a request for help with a recent issue I'm experiencing with my 8 Gig iPhone running 1.1.1. I unlocked the iPhone so that I could use my own Sim card on the Rogers network in Canada. I unlocked the iPhone using the www.modmyifone.com guide that did not require a computer connection - only an open wifi connection.

Have been using this with no issues for almost two months now. Anyway, tonight when I tried to sync my iPhone with a new album I just bought from the iTunes Store, I got an error message stating that there was not enough space to sync.

In the capacity bar, my Photos are showing up properly as 358 Megs but all of my music and video now shows in the "Other" category. As a result, I have only 1.52 GB of storage space available. When I try to sync my music it won't let me because there is not enough space available.

When I deselect all of my playlists for syncing except for one, the iPhone syncs with no problems at all and the new audio shows as the blue bar in the audio capacity so basically, I have 5.4 gigs of files in my iPhone that iTunes does not know what to do with. Now I have performed this recent sync, the old files don't show up on my iPhone...

Any ideas or thoughts on how to delete these 5.4 Gigs from my iPhone - right now it's like I have 1 3 Gig capacity iPhone...

2. Chiggs thread starter macrumors member

I managed to solve my own problem and thought I'd share in case anyone else was having the same issue.

I deleted all the files on my iPhone from the iPhone itself using the option in the settings menu. The next time I connected to iTunes, I restored from a previous backup and everything worked perfectly...

3. K0rban macrumors newbie

Other

Hi

I have same problem, when in Itunes it shows "other" as more then 4GB, where in settings did you say you solved it.

Please:)

4. kairuz macrumors newbie

Don't forget to check space usage from your mail too ...

Note that you may also want to check how much capacity on your iPhone is taken by the mail application. I use Gmail and had over 3000 emails on my Inbox and the account was activated on my iPhone. I just realized this was consuming over 1.2 GB of space counted under "Other" in the iTunes capacity bar.

Since I prefer to access Gmail from the iPhone's browser, I just deleted that Gmail account from Mail and gained back 1.2GB for music and videos. I guess I could also have archived most of those email but that's a different story :)

5. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

How do you check how much is being consumed by Mail for your Gmail syncing?

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Thanks for posting this. I just had the same problem with my jailbroken 1.1.4 Touch, the first time this has happened since I bought this thing last Fall ...

Anyway, erasing all content on the iPod itself did the trick, and re-syncing with iTunes (and restoring from yesterday's backup) put everything back the way it should be - apps are in the right positions on my home screen, my saved games are intact (!!) and everything is exactly like it was yesterday. Very cool! :)