iPhone high ARPU upgrade timing by operator

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by batman75, Sep 9, 2012.

1. batman75 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what the upgrade timing is for high ARPU (>$150pm) customers at Verizon or Sprint?

AT&T has raised policy from 12months to 18months.

The early upgrade policy was one thing which kept me at AT&T. If I have to pay $250 every other year to upgrade, I may just terminate and switch to Verizon.

What do you guys think?

2. formerpc macrumors 6502

Verizon upgrade eligibility is every 20 months.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You might want to scroll down and read the few thousands posts about this. The carriers (ALL OF THEM) realize they can not continue to offer cheap upgrades every year. Even 18 months is a push.

If you decide to go to Verizon, you will still owe ATT for the rest of your contract. And, Verizon is not going to love you any better.

4. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I suspected everyone would have the longer upgrade policy. However there is no difference to me between an 18month policy and a 20 month policy.

My point is that I expect favorable treatment from AT&T. Otherwise I will just go to Verizon now and pay the $225 termination fee.

Verizon won't treat me better from an upgrade perspective, but I will get a better LTE network.

There were three things that kept me with AT&T and they no longer apply
    - early upgrades
    - unlimited data legacy plan (seems not unlimited anymore)
    - voice and data at same time (Verizon can do this with LTE)

I'd be surprised if the retention desk doesn't give me an early upgrade though. My spend in the last 12 months is about $2500. Can't imagine their not paying up $250 on an upgrade is worth losing that revenue.

5. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Your statement that I owe AT&T the rest of my contract is not true. I only owe $225 to terminate the contract.

6. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

In addition your point about upgrades is also not entirely true. What they can't afford is giving early upgrades to low arpu customers.

The subsidy should be a function of what plan you are on or of your spend commitment.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

That is what should have said. Rest of contract or early terminate fee.