iPhone in Canada, Wont sell outright

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dude245, Sep 26, 2013.

1. dude245 macrumors newbie

I've called many stores around me, they all say they cant sell phones outright for 3 months. The source gave me the option of doing a 30 day contract, but they only service bell, not Fido. The closest apple store is also in a different town, and I don't have a car. I still have my 32gb space grey on order from apple, I just thought I could get it sooner. Nope!

Hows it fair that America can get it subsidized or just wait a week from ordering from 3 AM, while Canada has to wait a minimum of 7-10 business days, even if we ordered at 3 AM sharp? I just want to give these places $920! But they wont let me :(

2. Seniordan macrumors regular

I worked for a cell phone retailer in canada for a few years, they would never let us sell them outright for a while after launch because they make money off the contract. I didn't complain tho because I didn't make **** selling a phone outright although I agree that it's frustrating for someone in your shoes.

But if you're going to buy outright wouldn't you rather get a factory unlocked one?

3. dude245 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would, yeah. But I wouldn't mind Fido. Id just have to sit on it for a while longer when I had to sell it. Its not even that I want it THAT bad, its just I hate waiting :p

4. Seniordan macrumors regular

I hear ya! When the 5s launched I didn't care and wasn't worried About waiting a bit, but now that I'm seeing pics of everyone's pretty gold 5s', my patience are wearing thin!

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Do you guys still have 3 year contracts up north? With the phone makers shortening product cycles I'd have thought they'd put pressure on carriers to at least shorten them.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

You can always get a Blackberry :D

7. celly macrumors 6502

It's called supply and demand. Canada is a miniscule market compared to the US or China. We're lucky to be even on the list of countries that get it on the first release given our small population. I think Apple just does us a favour since we're such good neighbours. There are many in Europe for example that wish they had Canada's scenario.

Apple is going where they can make the biggest buck first and maximize cash flow from the release. They're also an American company so it should come as no surprise that's where their priority lies.

Waiting sucks, but it's a part of the game Apple plays. No one is forcing us to buy iPhones. We can get an Android offering on release day, but I don't want Android. As much as I don't like how Apple hypes their products and creates artificial supply constraints, I don't see that changing any time soon as long as Cook is at the helm (since he learned it from Jobs).

----------

Three year contracts just got legislated out for the most part. Two year terms are the new normal with plans similar than in the US.

----------

Yeah, no waiting in line for those. ;)