iPhone in Italy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Huntn, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm taking my Stateside purchased iPhone4s to Italy next month. Couple things I need to look into. My service is with Sprint. If I want to buy a sim card over there for emergency calls (in Italy, not back to the States), do I need to do anything in advance? Any recommended brands to look for?

I know my Mac computer can plug into European outlets with 220 volts (whatever it is) if I have an international plug adapter that will fit. But the Mac is staying home. Instead, it will be an iPad and iPhone. For charging, can they handle the current too?

I'd love to hear any other helpful thoughts on this. :)

Thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Did you buy the iPhone directly from Apple unlocked?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is your Sprints iphone GSM side unlocked for international use?
    If not then it wont accept any other carriers sim your put in. Call Sprint to find out details.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks guys. I'll be talking to Sprint tomorrow.

Can they (iPad, iPhone) handle the voltage?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. Huntn, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

A while back my wife left her original iPad charger in a hotel room so I bought a cheepy online. I'm really wondering if this is something I should be trusting 240volts to. We are going to swing by Best Buy today and get her an Apple branded one if they carry them.

Regarding Sprint, I called them up and all they do is make an account change that I assume does something to the phone to "unlock" it. I verified today with them that the phone is unlocked, but I have to take their word for it as nothing on the phone itself (according to them) shows it as unlocked.

Just curious not that it is unlocked, is there something I can do with it that I could not before?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Genuine Apple iOS chargers are universal voltage. Others it should be printed on the charger 110-240VAC, 50/60Hz something like that will work fine.

Your universal iPhone should accept a sim from a any mobile operator that supports iPhones.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

When you purchase a sim card overseas (or anywhere) that is charged with minutes, do you get a constant read of how many minutes are left? Thanks! :)

BTW we are leaving on Monday and will be back on the 10th of April...

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

When you purchase a sim card preloaded with minutes (for use in another country, if that makes any difference), does this give you online internet access and how fast would those minutes evaporate? So are you buying minutes of talk time or data or both?
    Thanks!

10. Goinnuts4 macrumors newbie

Report your experience, please?

So now that you are back, how did it go? My daughter has the iphone4s and I was going to get one, we leave in 6 weeks for Italy, buyout service is through sprint. How were the cards? Can you use the wifi for gps? Let us know how it went!

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

We got the phone unlocked through Sprint and could have simply used Sprint service at $1.99/minute. I thought we would buy a chip in Italy and save some $, but could not find a phone store in the airport. Went to a store in downtown Florence, stood around for 45 minutes without making any real progress in the Q, finally left and based on our schedule, ended up not getting a chip at all. We just took our chances that the rental car would not conk out on us. It worked out. In the end, if all we wanted was "emergency" coverage, why spend 20 euros on a chip? Just go with the Sprint International service. :)

FYI, we stayed at two hotels, the Rome Airport Courtyard and a 4 star hotel in Florence, Starhotels Michelangelo. The Courtyard only had internet in lobby. The Star hotel had free service (30 min at a time) in the lobby, but 12 euro per day (abour $15) just enough to get me checked in for the return flight 24 hrs prior.