Iphone in the wash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac6535, Mar 6, 2012.

1. mac6535 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I just made one of the worst mistakes of my life. I left my Iphone 3 in my pocket through a full cycle of wash. When I noticed my mistake, I impulsively clicked the power button to see if it would come back on and it didn't. Thinking back, I wish i wouldn't have clicked it because I have heard that that can ruin it. The Iphone is now in a ziplock baggie with rice. What do you think the chances of survival(for the phone of course) are? And how long should I wait before plugging it in? Thanks

2. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Chances are slim, that with my original iPhone. Left it for 4 days, no luck!
    Upside I got a new shiny phone from Apple Store (at a price of course!)
    Good luck

3. barryl85 macrumors regular

Similar thing happened (dropped / fully submerged in a puddle) to an extremely OG rubbish mobile phone I had years ago, I wrapped it in a towel and put it on a radiator for a couple of days and it worked fine !

4. neutrino23 macrumors 65816

Instead of just using rice you could try going to a craft store and getting silica gel. They sell it for people to use in making dry flowers. It absorbs water better than rice.

5. mrquin27 macrumors newbie

They don't make them like they used to. I had the first razer go through the wash and dryer. Opened it up and it was still on.

I also once found an old lg in the ice tub of a beer keg. Caught my attention because it lit up because it was receiving a call.

Useless info but still funny (on the old phone part)

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Even if you phone does work it will never be dependable.

It is time for you to $$$$$$:(

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Also, cut two openings in opposite corners of the zipbag and use a hair dryer to blow hot (not too hot!) air.

If you feel like doing it, take it apart (you're out of warranty anyway) and put the logic board in the oven (NOT the microwave oven and again, not too hot!!)

Ifixit has guides to take it apart.

Also, start saving for a 4/4S/XX

8. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I think it's realistically time to suck it up and upgrade. The iPhone 3(g/gs?) is quite old.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

You just learned a very expensive lesson on why you should check your pockets!

10. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

I did this too...

...I put my 3g through the wash. Although it partially worked afterwards, it was useless. I'm in the UK, and my household contents insurance has accidental damage which covers such stupidity! So they sent me a cheque for the price of a new one from O2 (my provider at the time) and I spent half of it on an out of warranty replacement from Apple!

Tiptopp

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

That was what happened to my first phone! Thank god it was just a cheapo nokia phone...:p

12. cynics macrumors G3

That happened to my girlfriends nano. We put it in rice for a few days, I thought it was done for since she repeatedly tried to turn it on. It did work afterward but there was a weird haze behind the screen. If it had a touchscreen I'm pretty sure it would not have worked.

13. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

14. mac6535 thread starter macrumors newbie

white

15. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Take it in and do an out of warranty exchange with apple , it ain't coming back on. And even if it does the. Corrosion that has started inside is like cancer and will kill it in a week or so.

16. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

17. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Hmm I wonder how much it would cost cellphone oems to put a waterproof seal in their phones?Would it even be feasible with touch screens?

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Cooked or not cooked:confused: