iPhone in warranty Vibrate not working - straight swap?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobbytallant, Aug 9, 2012.

1. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Hey guys

Booked an appointment @ the genius bar for the weekend. I have an iP4 that is in warranty and the vibration has stopped working (properly). I have restored it back to factory settings, still the same. It very often (and presently) doesn't vibrate when the phone rings despite being turned ON in settings and the phone doesn't vibrate when you turn the silent switch on and off.

I have got it to work on occasion, I would say it is a temperamental fault.

Assuming no water damage or physical damage, do you think they will just swap it straight away? I understand they just need to repeat the fault once and they can then swap it for a new one (at least this has been my previous experience at the genius bar).

Anyone had any success with getting replacements as a result of the phone's vibration not functioning properly?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They will definitely open it up before they do a straight swap. When I had a screen replaced before that was one of the after effects. They opened the phone again and fixed the issue and it has worked ever since.

3. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

my vibration motor "buzzed" they gave me a refurb unit after opening it up and checking for anything loose and easily fixed. They also replaced my phone before without opening it up based on battery issues.

any particular reason you want a "new" device opposed to them possibly being able to repair it on the spot?

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would assume wear and tear

5. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

I assumed the same but hey, if the phone can be fixed to perfect operation in store at the time of the appointment does somebody deserve a nice fresh phone for their possibly "well used" phone?

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I can only imagine how many people "invent" problems with their phone in order to get a new one b.c they have dropped it.

7. saud0488 macrumors 6502

They'll first try to replace the vibrate motor since those are easily replaceable on an iPhone 4

8. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Wowsers didn't expect the level of sceptism about my motives for wanting a new unit. I want a new unit because this one is faulty. Simple as that really. If they can fix it on the spot, sweet - but yes a new unit would be welcome, more prefferable than fixing my old one yes but I think this is natural - there is nothing cosmetically wrong with the current one I have - it just doesn't function correctly presently.

9. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

I can 99% guarantee you they will take it in the back then come back with a refurb replacement for you. Probably 10 minutes in/out of the apple store. I highly doubt they try to replace it for you on the spot...they will have it sent back and they'll take care of it on that end.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

See I am 99% sure they will take a look at it first, especially if it is not in good shape.

11. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks yes this has been my experience with applecare genius bar appointments before - however I was just wondering specifically about the vibration fault, as somebody has already intimated, perhaps there is a 'quick fix' for this on the spot. Just was hoping for some insights from people that may have had this experience before.

----------

It is in good shape - where did I indicate that this was the case lol?

12. Defender2010, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

With 100% knowledge of the situation I can tell you they will offer to replace the iPhone in the store there and then....(provided you have not damaged the phone externally which may suggest abuse to the handset, this might affect your warranty) despite someone on this thread stating they will open it up and replace the motor. This does not happen in store, the only thing Apple ever opened up in store was the 3G/3GS to replace the screens as this was very easy and quick. Just be patient and pleasant to the genuis who deals with you and smile and they will replace it.
    Just make sure you backup if you use iTunes or check to make sure a recent iCloud backup was made recently!

13. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Well, obviously. This is their first check i.e. checking water sensors and overall condition of the device. In good shape, I can next to guarantee they will replace it no questions asked. I've even had cases where they could not replicate my issue and the genius marked on the form that he replicated it and swapped my device.

14. -MRB macrumors 6502

Have they tightened up on giving new phones straight away?

When my sleep button recessed and would no longer press - They just gave me a new one in an instant. No opening up or anything.

Maybe you'll get lucky :)

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

it really depends what "genius" you get. Same thing goes for getting your student discount in store. Some people are sticklers for seeing a student ID....others just ask and take your word for it.