iPHONE in water, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SammyMarie, Sep 3, 2012.

1. SammyMarie macrumors newbie

Ive dropped my phone (iPhone 4s) in water before, and its usually been fine, its never been fully submerged like this. Any advice before I head to the AT&T store/Apple Store would be marvelous.
    Here's what happened:
    I had my phone on the bathroom sink, getting ready to play Simpsons:Tapped Out after I had my morning tinkle.. and as I was washing my hands, my alarm went off, and started vibrating, as soon as I reached for it, my phone vibrated its self right into the toilet... When I scooped it out (clean water, thankfully!) I wiped it off, and removed the case, I could not turn the phone off, and its currently still on, because the screen, that was loaded with the game I was going to play, instantly had lines going through it and turned black, my alarm is still still vibrating and going off, as I have two set, (one for wake up and one to make sure my ass is out the door every morning on time)
    However the screen is unresponsive to my pressing the home or power buttons, touching it, etc.. I do have screen protectors on the front and back, because I am prone to dropping my phone quite often, but this is my first fully submerging in the toilet.
    My phone is currently in a bag of rice under my pillow, I can hear every sound it is making, but I cannot see a damn thing, black screen... I do have some time on my limited warranty AppleCare still, and I do have insurance through AT&T...
    With that said, ANY STORIES (good/bad) OR SUGGESTIONS would be MORE than appreciated right now... thank you in advance! :(

2. Siggen macrumors 6502

turn it off, let it dry a few days. If it was me, I would turn the bathroom heat up to max, and let it be there for a day or two with the fan on. And then take it out in the living room while showering.

Anyway, most likely the water markers have changed color, so it wont matter to applecare. But your phone might work again.

3. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Leave it in the rice for 24 hours, if it's still broken after that there's little you can do. I'd advise you use the insurance, a warranty won't do anything for water damage.

As a sidenote, if you leave the phone for a few months unused then try and turn it on again, it might start working. These things happen sometimes. I wouldn't rely on it even then though, it'd probably break after another few months.

In fact, for that matter, anything that's been water damaged is likely to be unreliable even if it starts working.

4. SammyMarie thread starter macrumors newbie

I try to turn it off, but I cannot see the screen to do so.. :( Thanks for the advice, hopefully the battery will run out in a few hours and it will work when I try it in a few days. :)

----------

Thank you, Im trying this suggestion, if it doesnt work after a few days, I will be getting a replacement, I cant go a day without it due to work/school so even waiting a few days will be pushing it. Thank you. :)

5. ARSC macrumors 6502

Buddy just keep the phone in a bag of rice for 2-3 days and then check what happens.

I think it might work :)

6. SammyMarie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, Ill keep you updated! Appreciate the optimism!

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Short answer is to use your phone until it fails due to water oxidation and then let it go to Apple Heaven.

Then seek out a replacement via your insurance or out of warranty replacement.

9. SammyMarie thread starter macrumors newbie

I was simply asking if anyone else had the same situation happen that I had, and what their outcome was... thanks.

10. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187