Iphone Insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikefn2, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

So, I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to a 4S and received it on launch day. I opted out on not getting Applecare Plus and decided I would go through my phone carrier (AT&T). Well, to make a long story short and fast forward to 1/30/12, it dawned on me that I was still uninsured. So, after 2 calls to AT&T and a little lying, I convinced them to let me add insurance to my phone.

I was just wondering, how many of you have insurance on your iPhone either through Applecare Plus or through your phone carrier.

If you do not, why not?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've got it through my insurance company. If it gets stolen they'll give me $750.

3. brianbelligeren macrumors newbie

I decided not to get any insurance on my iPhone because when you make an insurance claim you're insurance rates increase, it doesn't matter how big or small the claim. Why increase my rates for making an insurance claim on a device that cost, at most, $750? Plus I have back up iPhones incase anything were to happen to the one I'm using now.

4. gouda272 macrumors regular

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Applecare+, but it's not insurance. It's an extended warranty. Getting coverage through AT&T might cover theft or loss as well as damage, but it's usually pretty expensive and a pain in the butt when you have to make a claim. Most people I've heard tend to avoid getting coverage through their carrier.

Applecare+ doesn't cover loss or theft, but for the price you pay I think it's well worth it. $99 gets you up to two replacements for accidental damage ($49 fee for each) and 3 years of coverage if something goes wrong with the phone through no fault of your own.

Squaretrade coverage is similar, but it's a diminishing value plan. They cover up to the cost of the phone. Once repairs/replacements reach that amount, your contract with them is over.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have Applecare, but my bank also offers insurance, which is free...So I guess I'm covered.

7. kadentrom macrumors newbie

iPhone insurance is something that crops up fairly low on your radar when you first get your iPhone. Another really cool loophole that's available to most people.