iPhone internet radio - Say Goodbye to XM/Sirius -Other ways to save $ w/iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by George Carlin, Nov 10, 2008.

1. George Carlin macrumors regular

George Carlin

I ditched my sat radio in the car and now use the AOL radio app (free download) for all my music, sports etc in the car. I drive 30 miles to work and have had no hiccups so far.I have an iPhone plug in direct to the car stereo, sound quality is not as good as sat but really not that bad either. Sure do like not having to pay for the tunes, sports news and game coverage from around the country.

So what others way and means can we find to use the iPhone to save some dough ?

2. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I guess that would work if you dont want the specialty channels. Like Opie & Anthony, traffic etc. Cant wait till they come out with the iPhone app so I can listen to my SirusXM and not have to carry around the radio.

3. JP3G macrumors member

JP3G

4. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Flycast can get SiriusXM stations?

5. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Well, I wouldn't cancel that subscription just yet. Remember, there are large stretches of the US where there's no 3G coverage, making internet radio less feasible for some.

6. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Yes, but when crossing the rocky mountains, I usually stop using my ipod / car stereo. :p

7. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I second that, plus I like the uncensored stuff on Sirius: Rawdog Comedy (Jim Bruer REGULATORS!!) Howard Stern, uncensored music, etc...

8. bigmouth macrumors 6502

LOL! I'm just talking driving from LA to SF. I would think satellite is better in more rural areas and internet radio better near metropolitan regions.

9. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Op and Ant can actually be heard on the AOL Radio app, but only the CBS side unfortunatley from 6-9. Its the 92.3 KRock Cleveland Channel.

Ill usually listen to the AOL radio app to them while im getting ready, then get in the car and listen to XM on them.

10. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

If I lived in Cleveland it would be great, however Iam in Portland Oregon and waking up at 3 aint happening.

11. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Haha true that. I actually live in Florida, but same time zone. At first i tryed the 92.3 KRock New york, but for some reason on that station the boys are on from 6 to 7, and then suddenly at 7 music starts playing. So i had to go through all the K rock stations finding which one is 6-9.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Those streaming applications are nowhere near Sirius and XM. While they carry a lot of stuff, I haven't found anything good. They don't have a bunch of channels covering college football games that I can choose from. Etc, etc.

13. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I found a lot worth listening to on the various streaming channels, but my problem is more that the quality is such that it sounds horrible through car speakers.

Higher bitrate streams would be nice, but these apps are probably on the verge of getting kicked out of the App Store for data usage as it is...

14. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

You guys use Fstream?

Atleast in sweden I can listen to any radio stations web stream. I just type in the adress to their webstream and save it in the FStream app. Bitrate is at 128 kbit for most stations over here. Works flawlessly as long as you got 3G coverage, works decently on EDGE too, although when you start getting 2-3 bars on EDGE it will start being worse.

Got it from the AppStore too :)

15. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Uh, yes they do. I listen to my favorite college and pro teams on-line. It's just harder because you have to search by radio station, not channel.
    Love fstream, though the interface could be more user friendly and the program is a bit buggy.

16. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Hmm, I dun really think it's that buggy. I use mine daily for hours and I have it crash/bug on me once every week or so, decent stats I think :p

17. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I've installed on both my phone and ipod. Streams will sometimes stop playing and stall during rebuffering. Often, after I press stop, I can't get any streams to play again for several minutes. It has trouble transitioning between 3G and wifi. I'm glad I have Tuner and WunderRadio as backups. Still, for a free program that plays WMA, it's pretty sweet!

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Can you tell me where to find any SEC football broadcasts? I have downloaded Pandora and AOL Radio but don't see anything local that carries anybody. 92.9 in Atlanta carries the Falcons and they're on AOL, but I always watch those games.

I will amend my point and say Internet radio won't have a chance until it gets less disorganized. I don't know what is holding the big radio stations from latching on to one of these services (I know it costs a lot, but there are millions of potential listeners waiting).

19. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Check out WunderRadio, which plays WMA (lots of sports stations use this format) and will let you search for local stations by name. Find out whatever station carries the game you want and look it up in their directory. You may encounter conflicts with pro sports, where the league forces the station to turn off the stream during the game. But I've had great luck listening to college sports in the way I just described.

20. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Mine just stalls when my reception gets under 4 bars on EDGE, otherwise not. The stop issue is most likely due to the data stream not activating again, try surfing to a webpage and then try, always worked for me.

21. George Carlin thread starter macrumors regular

George Carlin

Anyone know if CNBC is carried on AOL radio or any of the other services ?

22. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

This is not going to happen, nicemac has said they are done with the app and focusing on other projects, but can't release it, and they can't talk about it.