Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 2, and I can see the difference, but it's not like using the iPad 2 is a chore. So I'm sure I'd be fine with the mini. If I don't buy one, it'll be because my iPad 2 is working just fine, not because of the mini's resolution.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I still use my iPad 2 so I guess the screen on the Mini will actually be an upgrade.

However, I think I'll be holding off this first iteration. I think it's gorgeous but there isn't enough there to tempt me to switch over. My iPad 2 is still suits my needs well enough.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Have gone back and forth on this question all day. Have the old new iPad (as of today's update). Have iPhone 4S.

I bought the Kindle Fire HD for reading and portability. I loved the screen, sound and case, but returned it because I absolutely detested the Carousel and laggy OS.

I want the iPad Mini but after using retina quality devices, I don't know if I can go back. So I have decided to pre-order it on Friday and try it out. If I can live with it, I will keep it. If not, it will be returned. Simple!

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Have gone back and forth on this question all day. Have the old new iPad (as of today's update). Have iPhone 4S.

I bought the Kindle Fire HD for reading and portability. I loved the screen, sound and case, but returned it because I absolutely detested the Carousel and laggy OS.

I want the iPad Mini but after using retina quality devices, I don't know if I can go back. So I have decided to pre-order it on Friday and try it out. If I can live with it, I will keep it. If not, it will be returned. Simple!

from what I read from other people "once you go Retina, you don't go back"

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008

This is why I'm keeping my iPad 3 for the time being. We all know Apple will release a retina-enabled iPad mini within a year... or less.

I'm more curious about MS Surface tablets for the time being.

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
This is why I'm keeping my iPad 3 for the time being. We all know Apple will release a retina-enabled iPad mini within a year... or less.

I'm more curious about MS Surface tablets for the time being.

The next mini will defiantly have retina, a damn shame how Apple rolls.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I'm buying. I went from an iPad 2 to an iPad 3 and then downgraded back because I felt that I value more portability over retina. So as much as I'd like a retina Mini. I'm happy with what they're offering.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

I did. Had an iPad 2, bought an iPad 3. After a week, returned the 3. Heavier, thicker, hotter, worse battery life, slower charging. The retina is amazing, and if they were the same price, I'd have kept the 3. But given the trade offs, the cost of upgrading was too great. It wasn't hard to go back to the 2.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I think it would be smart for current Ipad owners, to just wait for the next Ipad mini. It will definitely be retina.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I really don't know.. I have a i4s i5 and the ipad 3 and also have the first gen ipad and each time i use the first gen ipad i can clearly see the the fuzziness in the screen... But since the ipad mini screen is smaller i will look better... But the question is by how much??

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
What I'm not getting is why on earth would an iPad 3 owner want to get an iPad mini?

Answer this, if you already own a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, why would you want to buy a regular 13" MacBook Pro?

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
When the mini goes retina it'll have the same resolution as the retina iPad right? That'll be ridiculous pixel density.

insoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I have an iPad 3 and love the retina display but can't stand reading magazines on it because it is just too heavy. I am pre-ordering the iPad Mini because I rather have a non-retina display I can actually use to read magazines. The iPad 3? I'll keep it for internet browsing, music making apps and as a very portable office.
Yes, I'm buying the iPad Mini as a Kindle alternative, that is, as a book and magazine reading device with a BIGGER SCREEN and lighter weight.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
What I'm not getting is why on earth would an iPad 3 owner want to get an iPad mini?

Answer this, if you already own a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, why would you want to buy a regular 13" MacBook Pro?

Because the ipad 3 is big and heavy... Not to ideal if your always on the move. The ipad mini is perfect!! Not too small and not too big just in the middle! But with no retina display im really debating on if i should buy it or not.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I am worried about how clear the display is.

For whatever reason, the iPad1/2 is the most pixelated display I've ever seen. I didn't think my vision was that great, but there are times the pixels just jump out at me and it looks very blocky. Something about the display technology on the iPad1 make it worse. Different colored blocks. Its bad.

The iPad3 is a very dramatic improvement to me. Day and night. Looks awesome. Never see a pixel. I'm amazed at the people who say they can't see the difference. Need to get better glasses.

iPhone 5 is even better. I love the illumination is just right. To me looks like a sheet of brightly colored paper with razor sharp detail. Other displays make me feel like I'm staring into headlights, but the iPhone 5 manages just the right level of brightness.

I'm hopeful that despite the lower resolution, that the iPad Mini will look better than the iPad1.
Planning to order one. I want to explore the size, weight of the device. Sounds really thin. Its only half the weight of the iPad.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
What I would want more than the retina display is the A6. That chip just screams and I feel like the mini would feel slower compared to the iP5

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Because these are first and foremost, portable devices.

Over the years I have went from a 15" Macbook Pro to a 13" Macbook Pro, then finally to an 11" Macbook Air. As someone who didn't need the power, I realized the smallest form factor with the lightest weight was the best product for me.

And this answers the OP's question. I am an iPad 3 owner and I am definitely getting the mini. :D

Edit: Initially I was dissapointed by the lack of a retina display, but after examining the facts a bit closer, I've understood that the display will actually be an upgrade from the iPad 2 and so I think the display will still look pretty great. Not too bad of a compromise if you ask me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.