iphone is best alarm Iv'e ever had but why no way to wake up to Music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, Jan 9, 2009.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Serioulsy I'm finding it's the little things which really make me appreciate my iphone.

The alarm feature which everyone glosses over is a a joy to use.

I have it set for 6-30 each WEEKDAY morning but it doesn't come on at the weekends. What a brilliant feature (you can set it to come on what ever day you like, well I think its good as having to turn off the alarm at weekends and then remember to put it back for Monday is a pain). You can add multiple alarms, stopwatches. The world clock is useful too.

BUT after all that why can't I set it to wake up to music?

I have a new Logitech Pure Fi speaker dock which is just incredible so i'd love to be able to set it to wake up to music.

Is this possible? Any apps out there which would let me do this?

2. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

My iPhone is not my primary alarm, and I agree that it is phenomenal as an alarm. My alarm plays Eye of the Tiger. Anyhoo, to set your alarm to music: go to clock>edit>sound and select the song from your list of ringtone list.

Jude

3. iVoid macrumors 65816

Probably because the music companies would then demand more money for 'wakeup use royalties'.

4. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I agree that it is kind of weird that we can't wake up to a particular song or playlist.

I'm not sure if you have a Mac, but you can make ringtones out of any song that you choose with GarageBand and then export it directly into iTunes. Then all you have to do is sync your phone. The ringtones cannot be longer than 40 seconds though.

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Really? Well I usually am in the deepest part of my sleep right before I wake up so the iPhone speakers are too quiet for me. Should I try waking up to different music? I typically just set it for the default Miramba tone.

6. cwosigns macrumors 65832

cwosigns

7. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Interestingly, though I use my Touch's alarm to wake up, it is one of only two things that I can fault in the touch.

The alarm doesn't have a separate volume control, so when I play a game in a public space I can turn the volume down, or mute it, and then when I try and use it as an alarm, nothing happens. This has happened to me multiple times. At the very least, my old phone had a vibrate function alongside the audible alarm, which would wake me up more often than not (surface depending).

Just like there are two volume setting for headphones and external speaker, I wish there was a 3rd for the alarm.

But as noted above, it is actually possible to set it to music if you like.
    Me, I fall asleep to music, so waking to it has never worked ;-)

8. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Yup you can set it from a ringtone, but not like any full song in your library like you could with an iHome or similar. BUT, that aside, just make some sweet ringtones from your iTunes Music. I wake up for school every day to "The Office" theme song.

9. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Im surprised no one has at least made a 3rd party app to do an alarm using you iTunes Library, but not sure Apple has an API for that like they do for contact choosing etc.

Bleh the more and more i think about it the more and more im getting fed up with Apples lack of improvements with this thing.

Bring on the Palm! Let the real competition begin!

10. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Lack of improvement?
    Now doesn't THAT line show us how we view the iPhone, not as a simple device of the past, but as a computer. I don't blame Motorola for not "updating" my old phone, fixing bugs, etc. Perhaps I should, but I don't, because that's not the "standard". However because the iPhone resembles a computer, made by a computer/software company, we expect them to improve on a product we have already purchased as is.

No, I'm not defending Apple, I just find it an interesting transition :)
    My Fridge doesn't function the way I think it should, but unless it ceases to do it's core function, I don't get to complain to GE.

As for the question... As noted above, you can use songs as alarms, and as ring tones. For ring tones, you import the song into Garaband (free with all Macs in the last number of years) and vwalla! There is a ring tone maker there. Never done it myself though. I don't have an iPhone, just a lil' ol' touch.

11. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

Custom Ringtone, Bob Marley "Woke up this morning, Smile at the rising sun..."

12. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Yes, the iPhone alarm is very useful, but the fact that you can turn it on only on weekdays is pretty commonplace on most decent phones these days.

13. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I wake up to "Holding Out For a Hero" (from the movie "Footloose") every morning. Works well. :D

14. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Nice ---- love Bob Marley.

15. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I have mine set to wake me up to my Gerry Rafferty Baker Street song. I think its a perfect song to wake up to, its nice an relaxing & doesnt wake me up with a jolt.