iPhone is magically consuming data when not connected to 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jondabomb, Mar 26, 2012.

1. jondabomb, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

jondabomb macrumors newbie

Its magic, I tell you. I purchased an iphone 4s in the Netherlands from Vodafone. They allow you to use it for 60 days a year outside of the netherlands in other EU countries.
    Last week I visited Paris and the phone worked fine and texting too, but every time I tried to use maps or email or any other data app it wouldnt work. I would get an error that said "could not activate cellular data network" "PDP authentication failed." (I attached a screen shot)
    I returned today and went to the Vodafone shop and they had no idea what was going on. They had me call their customer service line where the gentleman said that not only was it working, but that I used 150MB of data while I was there.
    It must be magic. Because it wouldnt work when I attempted to use it, but it works for them to bill me.
    Has anyone experienced anything similar? Are their apps that let you monitor other apps data usage? Am i crazy for believing in magic?

Attached Files:

2. Tailsss macrumors newbie

I've never had this, but my iPhone lets me monitor data usage. For me there is actually a "Usage" Tab in settings.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

My guess would be the authentication attempts counted as data since your phone was still communicating with their system. 150MB seems incredibly high usage for authentications, but, if it was constantly attempting the whole time you were there, it's possible.

Either way, hopefully you can fight the charges and win.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. By default the iPhone switch for data roaming is OFF.
    2. There should be zero data use, not 150MB.

5. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

All phone companies including apple track your location, and everything you do on your phone. They send it to themselves and that is were your data came from.